Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > To Victor! Is it fair?    

To Victor! Is it fair?

HARIM
Morocco

To Victor! Is it fair?

Sorry to tell you that some members have had only 30 points for over one year.I wonder what they are doing here!!!!!
I think something should be done to feel that we are sharing and we aren �t as frenshfrog said "vending machines".I �m sure you �ll all agree with frenshfrog,after naming some generous ,hard working members, saying:
"THEY ARE NOT VENDING MACHINES EITHER!!! It is no longer the notion of sharing, it is nothing but TAKING, TAKING and TAKING."
I suggest something like the following condition should be added to the esl printables � rules to encourage people to create.
"To keep your premium membership, at least 100 points should go to your account per month".
What do other members think?
Have a nice day

28 May 2009      

manonski (f)
Canada

Harim,
I have to disagree with you on this. There are other ways to contribute here aside uploading material. Some people give precious links, help, support, grammatical explanations on the forum. For me that is as important as a printable.

28 May 2009     

Zora
Canada

Whoa... I haven �t contributed anything in months (I am just starting to again) and many of us are like that. We can �t churn out worksheets like they were nothing. At least I, for one, need inspiration.

And manonski is right, we all contribute in our own way. I certainly do not mind people taking my stuff - THAT is why I am here - to share. Unlike Frenchfrog, I don �t feel like a vending machine, in fact I LOVE to contribute and see that people are using and enjoying my stuff. It warms my heart to no end.

Besides, forcing others to contribute is also unfair. It took a lot of members a long time to hit 30 points and you want to ask them to have a hundred downloads a month?? It �s unrealistic to say the least... I like the system as it is.  Smile

28 May 2009     

frenchfrog
France

I agree with Manonski, you can also help via the forum.

Not everyone CAN upload on a daily / weekly or even monthly basis. Some members are extremely busy running their own schools! I really don �t know how they manage! I admire them a lot!

The identities of those who upload worksheets and those who are involved in the forum are known. It is the identities of those who download without leaving a comment in the forum or leaving a comment / Thank you / something (!!) on a worksheet that are unknown. And it seems it is the majority of ESL printables members...
But again, these members will probably not read our messages... I would be interested in having their opinions, though. I would like to understand...

I simply would like to know where my work goes. It is as simple as that!

28 May 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

I know I �m off topic here but I �d like to suggest something to follow up Frenchfrog comment on this thread:
Maybe when we download, our name could automatically appear but there could also be an extra box that says "Do you have any comments to add?" That way, we would know who downloaded our work and who also took time to leave a comment.

What do you think?

28 May 2009     

sanchan
Spain

... ummm... tbh, I do not care about other people´s points ... not checking them either... specially because most of you guys are way more talented than me at the time of making wss and mine are kind of crappy (but trying to improve :D )

I just think this is a great site with lots of talented teachers and I love the fact that I can learn a lot here from all of them and have a laugh as well... but to be honest, I don�t see the point in checking other people �s points and worrying about that.

Besides... you can contribute in a lot of other ways ... for example by helping other teachers via PMs, the forum, email and so on.

Let �s just have fun as we always did. Getting points or checking other people �s points or seeing if we can find a stolen ws to report is not fun at all.

anyway, it�s just my opinion.

I�m just glad there �s a place like this one :)

28 May 2009     

David Lisgo
Japan

It is nice when we get a thank you, but I would be very reluctant to expect more than that.  I think it �s wonderful that so many teachers are willing to share their talent, ideas and, dare I say, love with other teachers.  Putting demands on other teachers would make this site a less inviting place to be.  Some of the people not contributing will be encouraged by the generousity of so many others and will in time contibute more.  The thing that thrills me most is when a teacher on the other side of the world downloads one of my contributions and uses it in his or her classroom.  What an honour.

28 May 2009     

frenchfrog
France

I agree with you David: "The thing that thrills me most is when a teacher on the other side of the world downloads one of my contributions and uses it in his or her classroom. What an honour."

I like seeing all the flags!!  It is amazing to me to know that my worksheets have been downloaded by members coming from all over the world. But it is possible to know that ONLY IF the members leave "a trace" (not necessary a Thank you!) somewhere!!! And as I already wrote, when I see a new avatar, I usually go and have a look at this new member �s worksheets!

When two people share something, they normally know each other. It is partially the case here on ESL printables.

28 May 2009     

Anna P
Brazil

First of all I must say that I strongly disagree with this topic�s heading. This site is Victor�s creation � a free gift for teachers who exchange not only worksheets, but ideas, questions, explanations, even friendship.  It is his site and the rules are also his. So, it IS fair!

I also disagree that members would need to upload lots of materials in order to remain a premium member.  The site already has a huge number of wss and encouraging further uploads would only increase the number of meaningless printables. We need quality, not quantity.

28 May 2009     

missola
Palestine

hi everyone!

I respect all what you have said but I have to say that I partially agree with the idea that members should be active. it is not necessary that every month a member should gain 100 points but why not uploading something new within a year because I know that some members could have difficult situations and I could be one of them.

Anyways this topic doesn �t bother me so much and everything is up to Victor so what he sees is the best should be done.

Ola

28 May 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

Harim,
Why are you concerned with what others have or don �t have?  It �s not about weeding out the bad wss or the low contributors. That IS Naziism.  They (the Nazis) got rid of the "low quality" people in their society.  Just because one person doesn �t contribute on a regular basis doesn �t mean there is no need for them to be a member here.  I often find a nice ws in a low points person �s account.  I �ll bet there will be a time you will find the same.  If that person �s account is removed you may lose that wonderful ws. 
The minimum points thing is not realistic.  Only a few members can generate good enough wss to produce 100 points within a month.  I �m with Zora.  It �s not a weekly thing that I get inspired to create something.  In fact, this is not my gift.  However, I have contributed and have gotten good remarks. It �s good to know others can use what I have made.  We can �t all be Mena or Katia or Xani.  That is their gift.  I �m very thankful for this site.  It is going along fine the way it is.  Like we say, "Let sleeping dogs lie".

28 May 2009     

1    2    3    Next >