Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > Contribute to the welfare of the Eslprintables website    

Contribute to the welfare of the Eslprintables website

Abdelhadi
Morocco

Contribute to the welfare of the Eslprintables website

In one of yesterday�s posts, Missfrancisca made some nice and useful suggestions, the first of which was clearly debatable. That suggestion which aimed to treat the problem of wss stealing and members� laziness stated that �There should be a minimum of contributions per member, let�s say a month, every three months, six or a year,� the thing which didn�t please many great members of this wonderful website.

Well, I just want to say that I agree with everybody, either with Missfrancisca, or with Manonski, nejar, isabelle, Olindalima, Seema, GIOVANNI, mena, Fabiola, Anna, SueThom, Apodo and Naranjas despite the fact that they have different views. 

On one hand, I completely support the view that the term �contribution� should be flexible rather than restricting it to uploading wss. We can never force members to upload wss on a regular basis since many of them may be much busy at times or just sick or maybe running out of creativity. You know that when we mention the word creativity, we automatically refer to gift and talent. So imagine that you force a gifted writer to write you a certain book. What would be the result? Of course another commercial book would be added to the list of low quality books that no one would like to have. That�s why we need to tackle this topic a little more wisely.

Indeed, as many of my colleagues stated previously, helping the other members on the forum either by posting useful links, sharing some useful advice or explaining some language elements may sometimes be much more valuable than uploading wss. Our website is not just for sharing wss because that�s not always what teachers look for in Eslprintables. Many times teachers come to the website especially to ask for help with grammar, one of the four skills or with any other element of the English language. Those teachers usually leave happy and contented since there are always some active members who fully respond to their questions. In addition to sharing wss, we do share experience, knowledge and ideas, the things which take much of our time and effort for the sake of making the website a better place and the life of teachers easier and more professional.

On the other hand, I think that when Missfrancisca made her suggestion, she was mainly referring to those passive invisible Machiavellians who once worked hard just to get 30 points to become premium members so as to benefit from the site�s free downloads and then they stopped doing so and disappeared from contributing or sharing all at once although they may be benefiting from the free downloads on a daily basis. Don�t you think that it�s this kind of opportunists who may misappropriate our wss and use them in their blogs without caring about our feelings? Do Machiavellians care for the others? They had a cunning intention since the beginning, so what would hinder them from being more cunning? That�s why I think that it�s not fair to give this type of people a golden opportunity to benefit from the wss in the website without making any contribution of any kind (after getting the 30 points of course), be it uploading wss, helping the others on the forum or even sharing some useful ideas.

Well, We don�t have a testing machine to test the hearts of the members here to see if they have any bad intentions, but also we should be clever enough not to give those who are not good our wss and other services on a golden plate. That�s why I relatively share Missfrancisca�s view stated in her first suggestion.

In addition to this, I think that moderately putting that suggestion into effect will allow us to know / get rid of those �members� who are totally passive. If, for example, you consider the number of registered people at present and compare it with the printables, you�ll find that the difference is certainly big: �Today, 1-6-2009, we are 183913 registered users and we have 167158 printables.� This means that there are few active members on the site compared to the number of registered users. We already said that some members may be active in the forum although they may not upload as many wss as the others, but what about those with 0 point accounts or a little more and who have been so for months or even more? Some of them may even have signed up to the website once and then stopped signing in. Don�t you think that their accounts take space in the website? How would you know whether they are active or passive in the absence of any useful rule?

That�s why I think we should resort to Missfrancisca�s idea on condition that we apply it moderately to satisfy the majority of great teachers on the website. So, I think that a middle-way solution to this problem may be to set the minimum uploads per user to, for example, one, two or three printables per six months or year. I don�t think this will affect our creativity and therefore force us to value quantity over quality as I don�t expect any teacher to be busy, sick or run out of creativity for about 360 days or more. Therefore, the requirement of producing one, two or three printables per six months or year (this is up to Victor to decide) would be a good reason for some very passive/cunning members to change their negative attitude and start sharing their work which would receive accurate moderation (I hope) to avoid the production of any useless or low quality printables.

What do you think of this suggestion?

I think many of you will agree with this suggestion while others may disagree with it. They are more than welcome, but then they should help us with a better suggestion to tackle that problem since we are all here for the benefit of all the good teachers and this wonderful website alike.

P.S. I�ve posted this topic on a new thread bcz there seems to be a problem with the old one.

Sorry for the length of my post and have a good day / night

Abdelhadi

1 Jun 2009      

eng789
Israel

I agree with Silke - eng789

I always tell my pupils to keep their answers �SHORT AND TO THE POINT �  so that is what I just did.

Have a great evening, night, morning or afternoon-everyone. 

1 Jun 2009     

baiba
Latvia

Good evening everyone,

Regarding the number of users, I just got curious and checked the list of users from my country.
Guess what I discovered? Out of 35 pages only the first 5 pages showed users with some points who can download worksheets. The majority had just registered but had never actually started using the site (they had 0 points and no worksheets at all).
Possibly that accounts for the incredible number of users?

Good night!

1 Jun 2009     

Zora
Canada

I totally agree with Silke and Eng. A minimum will only encourage the stealing and misusing of worksheets here on the site, it is not a deterrent like some think it will be. Heck, just take a look at the reported section any given day and times that by 10 to get an idea of what it might be like if we did that! Confused    

1 Jun 2009     

missola
Palestine

Contrary to what have been said, I agree with this idea of setting a minimum of worksheets shared by other users. I don �t think this will increase the stealing and scanning. We are all teachers here and we are all used to making worksheets, quizes, or tests. The work uploaded could be very simple. It doesn �t need to be so wonderful to get points and simple worksheets could be done by everyone and they don �t need time and are needed by everyone too.

I have also to say that I would also like everyone to consider the suggestion of adding this function to the download button. The feature I �m talking about is adding the names of users who click the download button.

have a nice time

ola

1 Jun 2009     

marta_marta
Poland

Setting the limit could have a negative effect on the quality of our worksheets. 

1 Jun 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Short and to the point -
I prefer the way it is for the given reasons.
To Ola - yes, good idea adding the names to the downloads

1 Jun 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

This subject has been discussed yesterday and I �m not going to state my opinion about it another time

Enough said...

1 Jun 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Just a quickie re adding names to uploads....

If someone really wants to remove a name from a download they can unless (generally) there is some form of security added to the worksheet. Now generally this security will also interfere with any other editing that a legitimate use of that download may need for an individual teachers � use.

Rather than being draconian about rights & wrongs of membership, making laws & rules that are dubious & generally unenforceable and going along the way of a fascist regime (has anyone read �The Prince � by Machiavelli?) in an attempt to control or negate the �barbarians � (did the Great Wall of China ultimately actually work, anyone?), why not retain the principles of the original Utopian land of ESLPrintables? All responsible denizens of this land share in their own way, why restrict them? Who are to be the judges to say if someone is contributing or not? Just the simple fact that someone has earned the 30 points for premium membership doesn �t mean that they have stopped contributing... after all, their uploads are still available for download!

Enough of this for me... I have to get ready for work!

Cheers,
AB

P.S. I do think it is worthwhile discussing these things occasionally, but I prefer to write my own manifestos...

2 Jun 2009     

Abdelhadi
Morocco

LOL!

I �m very much surprised to know that some great teachers here are afraid of setting a minimum number of wss per six months or year. This minimum which they are afraid of is just one , two or three wss ... LOL! ... Some have said that this would increase stealing ???!!!!! I just wonder how!!! Others said that this would affect the quality of wss ???!!!!

Oh please, I said one or two wss per year or six months and not per day !!!!!! 

Well, it �s very easy to speak about something without giving sound proof. To disagree with a point of view is acceptable as long as we give good reasons supported with logical proofs. I hope that anyone who disagrees with my idea try to convince me rather than just say yes or not or something like short and to the point. We are discussing a topic for the benefit of the teachers and the website alike, so please show us how you can conduct an interesting discussion for the welfare of everybody here. I guess we are teachers??!!!

Except MissOla, noone has made any better suggestion. This is what I said before: "I think many of you will agree with this suggestion while others may disagree with it. They are more than welcome, but then they should help us with a better suggestion to tackle that problem since we are all here for the benefit of all the good teachers and this wonderful website alike." This means that I knew that there would be many who disagree with the topic but where are your alternative suggestions?

baiba you are certainly right. That �s why I think that putting my suggestion into effect would help us get rid of those members whose accounts has got 0 points for months or more since these accounts certainly take a lot of space in the website. 

So how can you deal with this problem my great teachers if you don �t set that rule? Any clever suggestion instead of just saying NO ? 

My dear alien boy, can you reread my post? I think you got it all wrong. If you understood my message, you wouldn �t have criticized me that severly. But I forgive you my dear. Just read my post again. Maybe you will change your idea.

Silke if you don �t want me to use the word cunning to refer to thieves or those who have bad intentions then what word do you suggest me to use? The good words are for the good and the bad words are for the bad, am I wrong?

Have a good night to all of you

Thank you in advance for stating your your views

Abdelhadi

2 Jun 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Abdelhadi,
I told myself that I would not get into this topic again today but I need to clarify a couple of things.

First of all, a person who does not agree with you should not have to convince you otherwise. It is ok to agree to disagree. We are teachers like you said, not salespersons.

Secondly, yes it is ok to just say "No". On more than one posts, people have stated their reasons. Do we have to repeat ourselves on and on? Seriously, this topic is getting old and even Victor did not agree with this suggestion.

I �m off for the night. Hope you all rest well.

2 Jun 2009     

1    2    Next >