Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help Me Grade this piece of Writing!!!!    

Help Me Grade this piece of Writing!!!!

Nebal
Lebanon

Help Me Grade this piece of Writing!!!!

Hi dear teachers,
As I was correcting the tests, I came by this paragraph and felt bewildered !!  It is written by a 5th grader.
If you were in my shoes, how would you grade it? ( Score: 6 pts.) The topic is about choosing the future career.
 I �ll type it as it is with the same mistakes. You are the judges now!!!

My Big Dream
Everyday I wonder what I will be in the future. If you want to know just keep reading through. My dad always tells me to be a doctor, but my mom wanted me to be an airplane captin. I don �t want to be a captain because I get dizzy at hig places, and I don �t want to be a doctor since I don �t have what it takes to make people feel better. So, I decided to be an house engineer!! Because it �s a grate job and so I can build homes for the helpless and the needy  children that don �t have mony to pay for houses. Now this is my favourite job and it �s one I am willing to take.

What do you think?? How much does this 5th grader deserve???

Waiting for your judgement.
Nebal

8 Jun 2009      

manonski (f)
Canada

It �s hard for me to grade because I don �t know these info:

What did you ask your students to write about?
Were there grammar points they were supposed to respect?
Was there a minimum of sentences they had to write?
Were they allowed a dictionary, if yes then you should deduct grades for spelling mistakes.

8 Jun 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

Oh, dear! Can you give him special points for being so kind? I get your problem - how do you grade something so full of feeling (though this kid is probably not even aware of the effect it has on the reader)... I cannot help you grade because I don �t know the knowledge level of the rest of your group/class, but in moments such as these I �m glad I am allowed to give different grades for content, grammar&spelling and style. I don �t know if this helps, because our grading systems are really different, but maybe. Anyway, send the student many kind regards from me - the thread of thought is unbelievably cute... Kids - isn �t this why we love them?

8 Jun 2009     

Naranjas
Russian Federation

At what level is he supposed to be? As for my fifth graders I would give the highest mark because they are at the Flyers(foundation) level at the moment. But if they are supposed to be at, e.g., Pre-Intermediate(PET)level then I would give 5 of 6. Anyway I think it �s a good work. But it also depends on the example he/she had before the eyes, on what you asked from him/her and thousands other things. It is very hard to decide when you don �t even know the task!!!

8 Jun 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

Nebal,
Hi. Well, the student  has done a good job of making sentences. The structure is strong and there are only a few minor mistakes.  Most of them are spelling.  There are a few errors in agreement as well.   This looks about the quality of work I get from P5 kids here.  I am tough when it comes to comp so I think I would give a 4 out of 6.  Only a perfect paper would get a 6 from me.  Using your scale, a 3 would be average and a 6 would be exceptional.  This student is above average but has too many mistakes to get a 6.  I think a 4 is a good grade.

8 Jun 2009     

Nebal
Lebanon

Well, it is a Pre-intermediate level.

Manonski, I asked them to writw a well organized paragraph ( 6-10 lines) about the following:

What would you like to be when you grow up? Give good reasons for your choice.

The dictionary wasn �t allowed , no!!!

8 Jun 2009     

baiba
Latvia

I would give 5 out of 6 only because of a few spelling mistakes. This must be a very smart and thinking pupil but he/she still has to learn how to spell words.

8 Jun 2009     

Nebal
Lebanon

Yeah Baibi!! he is sooooo smart and always impresses me. But, believe me, he could have written much better!!
 I love him sooooo much!!

8 Jun 2009     

johanne23232
Israel

Hi Nebal,
Wow, this is how 5th graders of EFL write in your country? I wouldn �t expect anything this good in a 5th grader here.  I teach high school (15-18 yrs old) and many of my students don �t write that well!!  Should I be discouraged?  Cry

8 Jun 2009     

HARIM
Morocco

Hi Nebal,

I usually leave these papers ungraded until the end.If I find a better paper,which I �m sure it �s hard to find at this level, I give 5 to this one and 6 to the better one.If this one tops it,then I give 6 to encourage the student and let him know that I forgave his trivial mistakes.
I �m sure your student is waiting for 6,I wouldn �t hesitate to give it.
Hugs

8 Jun 2009     

Nebal
Lebanon

He �s the best, Harim!!

8 Jun 2009     

1    2    3    Next >