Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > New message from iClipart.com    

New message from iClipart.com

roneydirt
United States

One reason I been using pictures I have personally taken more or a family member has taken.  Now this is an education site and there use to be leeway (free allowance) for educators to use other companies stuff.  They viewed it as free advertisement since we as teachers reach more people on a daily basis then they could with less hassle.  If they want to lose the free advertisement of their material, no problem we no longer use while the site is still up.  Then pass it through the teaching community and ALL associates attached to us including students, parents, and others that the site (iClipart) is to be boycotted (do not use) or advertise.  Basically going to the old school method, you don �t want our community to use it then we won �t and will encourage our secondary communities not to use it.  End of site and end of problem.  In the 1980 �s there was a push from some small groups about using outside education material because it was basically advertisements for companies and were being used freely in the classroom and they were worried it was unfair practice to other companies.  It was even called sublimely advertisement practices.  I guess that has changed.

5 Apr 2011     

ellakass
Israel

Great Roney!

5 Apr 2011     

Errie
Japan

@Roney

Clap.................Beer

5 Apr 2011     

pollyanna_pl
Greece

I �ve got a subscription with iclipart and have sent them an email to clarify where I stand. I specifically asked them if they would be so kind as to explain to me in simple lay terms what use I can actually make of my subscription if I �m not allowed to share my worksheets with colleagues (or perhaps even students, as they might go on to use the clipart for their own profit-making agendas).
If their answer is more or less that I can use the cliparts to decorate myself, (so aptly put olindalima !), I will stop being a subscriber.
I don �t feel as if I �ve violated anyone �s rights. Having read their terms of use, I took it that  the spirit was to not use their cliparts to make money or distribute them (as cliparts) for other people to use as well (as in picasa).
But again, I �m not that clever, I �m sure they will know better. :)
I �ll let you know if anything interesting comes up in their reply.

5 Apr 2011     

Pati_Suomi
Spain

Hey Lizsantiago!
You �re definitely right! I �ve checked its terms of use and they �re similar to those of iclipart.com.
I think I will better remove the contributions where I used these pics before getting into trouble with any of these webpages.

5 Apr 2011     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

I will point out something that we see virtually every other day in the abuse page: members actively acting as copyright lawyers when they notice someone else has "cannibalized" (term � almaz Wink) their clipart from some ws to make yet another ws of their own.

When we upload an editable ws with clipart, we are also allowing a third person to use the clipart not only in the piece of work we made (and paid for the art license). We are allowing someone to use the art in question without paying to make their own.

In a way, if I were an artist, who had a living by it, I �d feel the same. But I think I �d go for the making it hard to get approach, like thistlegirls, and at least allowing the work to be given to whomever the buyer wants, as long as if uneditable, guaranteeing my rights.

I �m not defending iclipart.com, but we �ve got to be true to ourselves (Bob Marley �s soft plays in the background), if we are always crying out for members to follow the rules so we can have a fair, legal and original deal among teachers, it �s sensible that we do the same for other people �s rights.

You know... it �s hard to make a living being an artist. People most frequently see it as a "hobby" rather than a "work/job". I don �t.

5 Apr 2011     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

Heeey.... iclipart.com! If you �re tracking this conversation, please take thistlegirls example!!!!

Allow your buyers to use their purchase in this beloved website! Claim your rights, but go easy on teachers! LOL It �s hard making a living as a teacher, too! Embarrassed

Wink

5 Apr 2011     

Zora
Canada

My biggest concern is that they allow you to use their clipart professionally but not for educational purposes. Does that make sense at all? If you only sell less that 100,000 whatever you can use their images (professional licenses are allowed 1,000,000, I think, might be ten million even - unsure about that since I was half asleep last night while browsing their site... )

But us teachers here on the site - who aren �t making a profit from them (although they are from us) are not allowed to use their work in any capacity outside (or inside, from what I was reading) a classroom.

Does that mean we should all take our work, make books, flashcards or posters and sell them instead of giving it away and we are OK??? Honestly, THAT is the strangest thing I �ve ever heard...

I second Roney �s idea and truthfully, I agree with Phillip about the public domain thing. I think this company doesn �t stand a chance enforcing their "rules" since they are contradictory at best. Unless of course, you are somebody who loves to sit in a room, alone, and just stare at your work because you can �t let others see it, touch it or use it free and must charge a fee like in a sideshow for you to share it with others.

5 Apr 2011     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

@Zora... Hi darling! have a nice b-day?! Wink

I think that the answer to your question is that they allow the buyer to distribute freely his/her work provided that as a hard copy. Their only restriction, apparently, in our case is to digital download.

Again... hey, iclipart.com!!! My sister �s an artist too, I know how hard it is on you guys, BTW: are you hiring? Tongue Can you please give in a little, too?!

EDIT: I just thought of something. I�m assuming iclipart.com has put together a taskforce tracking ESLprintables [irony]. If you guys allow clipart to be used in websites, it doesn�t make any sense not allowing it to be used in here. Because in a website you can just right click the thing and copy it. Something to think about.

5 Apr 2011     

redcamarocruiser
United States

My understanding of the thistlegirl.com rules is that all permissions have been revoked.

http://www.thistlegirldesigns.com/shop/conditions.php
says:

How ThistleGirl Designs graphics MAY NOT be used:
You may not, at any time:

-
alter my graphics in any way to include, but not limited to, recoloring, resizing, combining, or adding text (unless specifically noted or in the case of blank banners, buttons and quilt squares which are designed for your text)
-
create new items from my graphics such as email stationary, blinkies, incredi-mail stationary, banners, awards, tubes, templates, etc.
-
distribute ThistleGirl Designs or items created with graphics from ThistleGirl Designs from your site or through email groups or list servers such as Yahoo groups, etc. under any circumstances. Any prior permission granted has now been revoked.
-
sell products containing ThistleGirl Designs for any reason with prior approval and resellers license
-
direct link to any graphics on this site
-
print ThistleGirl Designs graphics on products for resale without prior approval and resellers license
-
use graphics that you have purchased or received as a part of your membership package to decorate another persons site

21 May 2011     

< Previous   1    2    3    4