Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > I vote FOR the posting of PDFs    

I vote FOR the posting of PDFs

Wonderphil
France

I vote FOR the posting of PDFs

Dear all,
First of all, let me emphasize the fact that this site is a public necessity for all of us teachers of English worldwide. I cannot thank the webmasters and conceptors enough.
Nevertheless, I would like to pinpoint one of the most annoying side effects of that system : The only format accepted on the site is .doc. 
I understand the worksheets should be editable and adaptable to everyone�s needs, but there is ONE drawback : The file is almost NEVER opened without the whole layout falling apart, the fonts being changed, the frames being uncompatible... and this times ten when, like me, you use a different editor than good ol� Microsoft Words (like iWorks Pages).
The good thing about PDF is that it is multiplatform compatible, the fonts, images, layouts, frames... are all taken aboard, and it �s just ready for use. 
Accepting PDF would :
- save time for those who don �t want to re-do an entire layout that takes longer than actually MAKING the worksheet from scratch,
- save us the god-awful kichy unbearable Comic Sans typo.
The subject is of course entirely open for debate.
Thanks for listening (in a manner of speaking)
Ph.

8 Nov 2012      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Nothing makes my heart sink faster than when I see a good looking document - but it is pdf and you are stuck with it as it is. There is always something that needs personalising and - forgive me for mentioning, there are occasionally mistakes that need correcting. No pdfs on here! No!

8 Nov 2012     

jcendr
France

I totally agree with cunliffe

8 Nov 2012     

Messdjef
Algeria

I agree with our colleague, Wondephil. This is a good idea for the Webmaster to make this site more profitable and for everybody. 

8 Nov 2012     

Messdjef
Algeria

Do you know, Cunliffe, that it exists software that converts PDF to doc ? So if you hate PDF, let it for those who love it. Because, as explained above by Wondephil, PDF keeps everything as it is made by the author of the document, and no matter what editor used to open it.   

8 Nov 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I am with Lynne as to the editable ws and I could care less for the layouts and fancy fonts if the content/idea is superb.
There �s probably a good reason why pdf is not here yet. This topic has been discussed here multiple times btw

BTW I would like to ask dear members here not to use "leagal" size and rather use A4 bc when I tried saving those in pdf, the font was so small and not readable and in Word it just wouldn �t work for me (a part of the ws was beyond printable area). I ended up spending lots of time editing and copying stuff into a new doc.

Sophia

8 Nov 2012     

SaraMariam
United States

I �m with Lynne and Sophia for the same reasons. Plus I never really had any problems with worksheets faling apart. Fancy fonts and pics can be saved in different ways so they are not changing, if you want to keep them for your own ws, so no real problem either.

Messdjef, that converters often don �t convert in the best way. Many times the word file doesn �t correspond 100% to the pdf file, sometimes pics are missing and all kinds of things. So in the end, we are turning in a circle.

8 Nov 2012     

manonski (f)
Canada

save us the god-awful kichy unbearable Comic Sans typo.

There �s actually a reason why I use that font. It � s one of the few my younger students can read without any problems because the "a" is the same as the one they are taught to print.

Personally, I would not download a printable uploaded as a pdf format. I like to modify.

I �m with Cunliffe on this one.

8 Nov 2012     

Tmk939
Russian Federation

I �m with Lynne and Sophia. No PDF, please. It is impossible to change them
at all if I want to make some alterations in the ws.
BTW "leagal" size of the ws is also inconvenient, because demands a lot of time for editing them.

8 Nov 2012     

silvia.patti
Italy

I like Comic Sans and I use it very often. It takes two seconds to change it if you don �t like it...

8 Nov 2012     

nernest
Egypt

YESS  agree on making PDFs + Doc ,, you will not lose anything!!!1

8 Nov 2012     

1    2    Next >