Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Where are you from? or Where do you teach?    

Where are you from? or Where do you teach?

goodnesses
Algeria

Where are you from? or Where do you teach?

Hi, dear colleagues.

I �ve been on this site for quite a long time now and I would like to make a suggestion if you don �t mind.

I noticed that many here don �t use the flag of their native countries for their avatars. They often use the one of the country where they teach/work.

This is what, according to me, causes some misunderstanding among us during some topics discussions especially those relating to culture, traditions and/or believes. I think also, this kind of misunderstanding is quite often the result of the fact we don �t comprehend some specific aspects of the English language the same way according to where we are from; natives or foreigners, teaching English as a foreign language or as a second language...

So what do you think if we all use the flag of our native countries?

PS: Knowing where sb. works is still important for some topics, but we can always ask for it during a discussion or private messaging, can �t we?

Regards and Respect to all.

27 Feb 2009      

eng789
Israel

If you are from the Province of Quebec, your mother tongue would be French. 
But you are still Canadian, so you have the right to use the Canadian FLAG.

Sorry Goodnesses,  your system doesn �t work.

27 Feb 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Wow, that is an interesting point of view.
I would love it if we had two flags!
One where we come from and the other where we live and teach everyday.

Good point Goodnesses

27 Feb 2009     

frenchfrog
France

I must admit that it is extremely important for me (I am a non-native speaker) to know who is a native speaker!! Native speakers are the reference to me, not grammar books! I want authenticity, not necessarily grammatical perfection!! So, it is true that your suggestion would help a lot!

27 Feb 2009     

eng789
Israel

I want authenticity, not necessarily grammatical perfection!!

Frenchfrog, I love that line,  can I use it with my teachers.

I �ll say,  "Maybe my grammar isn �t perfect, but at least I �m authentic." 

27 Feb 2009     

frenchfrog
France

Sure you can!!

27 Feb 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

Dear eng789
sorry you take it this  way. I don �t want to be trapped in your offending reaction again.
You are the certainly the only canadian here who has this problem. A canadian is a canadian for the others Quebec or no Quebec.

27 Feb 2009     

BRAHIM S
France

Dear goodnesses

Your suggestion is an excellent one.. Therefore I totally agree with you, it will help better to know who is  a native and who is not

(Native speakers are the reference, but grammar books are pertinent as well... contrary to what frenchfrog stated  What if you are confused about something and you ask a couple of natives, but the latter disagree.. How many are you going to ask ? What if those natives just say I don �t know, I can �t explain etc

While I am very much in favour of   goodnesses � suggestion, I will have to disagree with eng789

In your case you will use the Canadian flag and that �s it

For me anyway it not only works, but it also makes sense, as I am of Moroccan origin and teach in France

I also have a lot of compatriots teaching in Canada, the US, England  etc  I know a few American and English  colleagues teaching  here in France. For all of these, putting the flag of the native country would make more sense than if they put the flag of the country where they work

Maybe libertybelle  �s idea would a nice compromise

27 Feb 2009     

eng789
Israel

Excuse me goodnessess,  I �m not sure you understood me.  I said it doesn �t always help to know the mother country because there may be 2 official languages there.  Therefore you wouldn �t be able to know if English was their mother tongue. 

Read what I say.   Who did you think I was offending?  

Stop trying to pick a fight with me all the time.

27 Feb 2009     

frenchfrog
France

I would like to reassure Brahim: I don �t discard grammar books completely! And you are right about some natives who are not able to explain some grammar points. What I always ask them is �But would you hear it? It might not be correct, but would you hear it?" (again, authenticity! LOL)
Just curious now: why did you insert hyperlinks??? Did you want to advertize our worksheets?LOLLOLLOL

27 Feb 2009     

mariannina
Italy

How can I add the flag of my Country (Italy), under my avatar?
Thanks.
Mariannina

27 Feb 2009     

1    2    3    4    5    Next >