Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > "Welcome to ESL printables, we ´re glad to give you 5 points as a starter present and are looking forward to your contributions" - how does that sound?    

"Welcome to ESL printables, we ´re glad to give you 5 points as a starter present and are looking forward to your contributions" - how does that sound?

elderberrywine
Germany

"Welcome to ESL printables, we ´re glad to give you 5 points as a starter present and are looking forward to your contributions" - how does that sound?

While I disapprove strongly of the aggressive tone in which many new arrivals complain that they can �t start downloading immediately I do think they should be given some points, maybe 5, as a starter present.

That will

-  make them feel welcome
     -  prevent them from becoming too angry and annoying us with their outbursts
     -  help them for the moment if they �re urgently looking for something,
     -  give them an idea of what they can find here
     -  help them to improve their style and
     -  inspire them to contribute, too.

Going through the log-in process and then standing there with empty hands is a bit hard, even when you �ve read the rules and know it �s not a take-away site.

We have so much to give, so much to share, why don �t we give new members this start into "ESL printables life"?
Please, Victor, think about it ...
Dorothea

5 Aug 2009      

Zora
Canada

I wholeheartedly agree with you Dorothea. Hug It �s quite a nice and fair idea - AND before anybody starts saying over so many teachers.. STOP, over 60 percent (if not more) of those contributors, members are not active - at all. 

So, I think that Dorothea �s idea is a good one. It allows others to see what the site is all about, get a feeling for it and probably contribute. The other way people do get discouraged - the proof is the actual activity of members... We might be a big site but quite honestly it �s the same 300-400 members contributing - and downloading all the time.

5 Aug 2009     

elderberrywine
Germany

Have a look at how many "members" with 0 points we have.
Maybe many of them never got beyond the stage of being as angry as the fellow who shouted at us today (and the one last week, and the week before) -
- forgot about ESL printables - and never bothered to delete their account, either
Dorothea

5 Aug 2009     

libertybelle
United States

I totally agree with you and Zora!

A welcome of 5 points would be fine.
But it doesn �t excuse the fact that some people are down-right rude.
(and lazy too)
Who the heck joins a new group and instead of asking for help
tells them that the site sucks and is bullshit?
(I feel sorry for the kids who have a teacher like this - to be honest)

L

5 Aug 2009     

FroggyClaudine
France

I think this is a good idea as well because it gives new comers the time to fully appreciate the wonderful work that �s being done here. And as for those who anyway do not wish to share, they won �t contribute whether they �re allowed or not to donwload. But I would also add something like "But before you start, carefully read the what �s this? part to fully appreciate the rules of the site"
Have a good day all of you.

5 Aug 2009     

victor
Spain

I think it is a good idea to make things easier for new members, but your suggestion has got a problem: many people would start a new account every time they needed workshets.

5 Aug 2009     

mjpa
Spain

5 points to start "stealing" our works? We all have gone through that way, and we all are here now, aren�t we? So, just let people do the same other people have done.
There are many sites where you can take things from. This is ESLprintables. If you want to become a member of a new club, you have to accept their rules, not try  to impose yours. If you don�t like something, just, don�t becomer a member.

5 Aug 2009     

Zora
Canada

Is there not a way to detect duplicate IP addresses Victor???

5 Aug 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

Good point, Victor.  One can never understand leadership and its struggles until one is a leader.  The leader sees a perspective the followers never do. 

5 Aug 2009     

elderberrywine
Germany

oh dear
I never thought of that ...
but would they really bother??
If we made it 3 free points, they might not bother, but it might be a nice gesture ...

5 Aug 2009     

meuge
Argentina

Ermm  I found that a great idea too... but on seconds thoughts....
You are right Victor...

5 Aug 2009     

1    2    3    4    5    6    7    Next >