Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > 86th anniversary of Foundation of Turkish Republic    

86th anniversary of Foundation of Turkish Republic

maker1
Turkey

Dear Olindalima, your post has hardly any relevance to this thread but as you have sent no pictures it is OK as you are taking up no space.

30 Oct 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

dear maker1
Thank you, thank you, thank you
so kind of you, I wonder what planet
you are  from?

I love when you start this kind of chi chat teaching everyone what everyone should do.
You are a postcard. You make me laugh.

30 Oct 2009     

pmca
Portugal

I rarely interfere in this kind of discussion because I hate it. But I believe something has to be done! This is going way over the line.

How can we be asking each other to uphold the rules and continuously chastise each other, while at the same time, the same rules we uphold are broken by us? You �criticise the posting of images and then, you just go and post them!!!�

It makes no sense. Personally, I �m sick and tired of this constant bickering between members. Especially as we MUST BEAR IN MIND that we are dealing with people from different countries, different cultures, different ways of looking at the world.�

Let �s show some respect and POLITELY ask people to refrain from posting images and non-ESL-related content in the forum. The ESL Cafe was created precisely for that!!!�

I think some people are being very rude and there is no need for that.

Please post this kind of things in the Cafe!

Good night!

Paula

30 Oct 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Quick question... where is it said that pictures can �t be posted in the forum?

I thought the objections have generally been to the relevance of pictures posted rather than that pictures were actually being posted.

The change in forum posting layout occurred so that more discussions would appear on the �front page � rather than the discussions being overwhelmed by sparkly, shiny, annoying, distracting pictures!
The actual thread:
New system in forum main page

To assume this is an issue for server space may be quite erroneous unless you actually work with the servers.

There �s absolutely nothing wrong with celebrating national days in the forum.... as long as this standard applies to EVERYONE.

Congratulations Turkey! Ata Turk was a wonderful & amazing individual. A true genius & culturally significant.

Regards,
AB

30 Oct 2009     

pmca
Portugal

Hi Alien boy!

I have to admit I know nothing of servers, but I do know that everything posted in the forum stays there. Therefore, I think it is quite logical to say that it is taking up space.

Victor created "The Teachers � Caf�" and there you can read the following:

The teachers � cafe

This is the place where we can chat, share funny images, send greetings, wishes, etc.�

I think this description sums up what Victor �s intentions are: to separate things. ESL stuff goes to the forum, other stuff should be posted in the Caf�.

Do we really need to see more rules in print? Let �s have some common sense.

What I don �t like to see is the following:

- Rude messages and constant bickering;

- Pointless greetings (pointless, meaning "stuff" that has nothing to do with teaching English, so please reserve that for the Caf� or personal messages)

- Irrelevant posting of pictures (they might take up server space and they distort the viewing of the page, smothering relevant information in the forum).

- Celebrations of any kind. I repeat, in my opinion, ESL Printables should be a place for ESL stuff.�

But this is my view of seeing things. You may not agree. But I feel that if the forum was limited to just this kind of topic, there would be much less conflict on board.

Have a wonderful night!

Paula

30 Oct 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Hi Paula!

I was actually an agitator against much of the gratuitous postings that were (& continue) to be made in the forum.

is just a small example of the sort of debates that were raging before the �Teachers � Cafe � was introduced. There were several others which were far more heated...

Items that are to do with international & cultural items are of interest top many of the teachers here. There are more than 70 countries around the world where English is an officially recognised language. Then there are also many other countries where English is an important language too. On top of this, it is also the current international �lingua franca �.

What I would like to see with any of the cultural/civic/social posts that appear in this forum is some additional information that extends our (collective) knowledge about the cultures, celebrations & people being talked about.

e.g. Turkey �s National Day - why not include a brief bio of Ataturk & some cool links. Include a picture, but keep the size a little smaller. A smaller image will keep the page layout in the forum a lot cleaner for everyone to access.

Just my opinion!
Cheers,
AB

30 Oct 2009     

mr.dgdln
Turkey

I dislike the way people can �t bear seeing others � cultures , respecting others � values.

Whatever you may think, I �m going to keep on talking about , publishing our great leader ATATURK.

the reason " such posts occupy the forum" How nice! I wish every post occupying the forum was as fine as mine. look at today �s posts: google � images. is it really something related to esl? or what does it make you gain to know what is google �s image in other countries?

Please stop being close-minded and ridiculuos!

30 Oct 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    5