Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > About the use of L1 in worksheets    

About the use of L1 in worksheets

JulietaVL
Mexico

About the use of L1 in worksheets

Hello colleagues

I �ve seen lots of reported contributions as "It is not in English language" when there are only a few lines which are not in English and they do not affect the understanding of what students are supposed to do with them.

I remember Victor clearly stated that we should not remove those worksheets unless the L1 affected the complete understanding of the tasks to be done in the worksheet, who remembers that?

I do not see as a fair behaviour to delete worksheets which are totally in English but only the last task says: "tranlate this text" ( I am just giving an example) ... can �t we delete just that task?

Or maybe the rule and petition of Victor has changed and I am not aware, could somebody enlight me please?

5 Mar 2010      

RabbitWho
Czech Republic

I agree with you, if something can still be of value to people who don �t speak the same L1 then there �s no reason do delete it.

I think some people just love reporting worksheets over the slightest thing.

5 Mar 2010     

mena22
Portugal

Hi Julieta, I understand what you mean. However, this is what you can read in the rules:

Your contributions must be 100% in English language.

I believe there is no doubt about that. After all 100% is 100%.

Hugs,
mena

5 Mar 2010     

manonski (f)
Canada

I �m not a moderator anymore but I think the rules are now clear about the use of L1 on a printable.

5 Mar 2010     

Zora
Canada

I think that common sense is what is needed... For example:

A song this week, that had some Spanish in it, BUT affected in no way the English learning was reported - and I am guessing later removed. That is a bit much, I think. There are great songs, classics even, that have some other language in them. And I think that they shouldn�t be removed or reported in that case because it�s part of the song.

For example:

Que Sera Sera by Doris Day
I want to Wish you A merry Christmas - by Boney M
Volare by Deam Martin

5 Mar 2010     

Mariethe House
France

What about the song "voulez-vous coucher avec moi ,ce soir?" 

5 Mar 2010     

Aimee/S.
Israel

You are so right, dear Julieta!
I have the same problem with watermarked cliparts. I �ve noticed over the last few days the way some moderators "rush" to report worksheets with watermarked clipart and I feel very very very unhappy about it.

In my eyes there is a big difference between stealing worksheets of other members or copying and pasting from books AND using (most of the time innocently I �m sure...) watermarked cliparts.

Yes, yes, i know, it �s one of the rules now - but again and again - can �t we use our heart ???

A few days ago I noticed a watermarked graphic on a friend �s worksheet and I told her to change it asap - I felt real FEAR that some moderators would report it!!!! She couldn�t change it and I was so worried about her the whole day!!! During the hours of the evening she finally contacted me ... to tell me that one of the moderators (I knew it would come from this one...sorry... but I don �t agree with everyone �s philosophy around here - despite my great desire for sharing and helping...) sent her a pm asking her to change the graphic. And she finally did it...

I �m happy - at least - that this moderator followed an advice I gave on the forum a few days ago: please keep the spirit of helping and sharing - send people a pm if you see that the worksheet breaks one of the rules. Don �t rush to report!!!

Maybe this moderator didn �t follow my advice and just used her/his heart this time... It �s good enough.

Supporting your "call for flexibility" !!!  querida Julieta!
Lots of love from hot and sunny Jerusalem,
Aimee

5 Mar 2010     

RabbitWho
Czech Republic

We learned Que Sera Sera in school as children and I always thought it was a nonsense phrase like "ging gang gooley gooley gooley gooley wash wash" or "C �est la vie" ;)

Of course we need to have the rule that says "worksheets must only be in English" in order to give people a guideline and idea about what this site is about but when it comes to applying that rule a little bit of common sense and humanity is in order.

As someone said PMs before deletions are a great idea, and eventually maybe the worksheet could be suspended for say 5 days to give the creater a chance to edit it without loosing all their points.

5 Mar 2010     

shusu-euphe
Taiwan

Yes, yes, I totally agreed with Aimee, Julie and all.  A PM to author is needed.

Euphe 

5 Mar 2010     

Yulia Mo
Russian Federation

To me the rules are clear enough to follow. 100% in English means what it says. If the task is in another language or there are translations i report it. Sorry, but people have to read the rules before uploading, this is how it works. For sure if there is a spanish word in a song, it �s a different case, since the song is still in English, so i don �t think it should be removed.
As for watermarked clipart - also very clear rule.
Sometimes i personally send pms to members asking them to change this or that, but i �m sorry, i don �t have the time to send messages to everyone, i rather spend this time checking other contributions since i see SO MANY copies here recently.
I have only one way out here - read the rules. We are more than 300,000 members, and everyone are educated and literate adults, so what is the problem? After all even if those wss are deleted, it �s not a strike for a member, means just they will be more careful next time.
All IMHO

5 Mar 2010     

manonski (f)
Canada

Aimee, watermarked pictures mean that the person did not pay for the use of the pictures. It is stealing. Some pictures are not public domain. For me, using a picture with watermarks is the same as copying a text from a textbook. If it �s for your own personal use, I don �t care what you do in the classroom but this site is public and people could get in trouble for using things without permission or paying for their use.

edit: Sending a pm to the author is a great idea.

5 Mar 2010     

1    2    3    4    Next >