Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > Worksheets on pop songs    

Worksheets on pop songs

elderberrywine
Germany

Worksheets on pop songs

Hi everybody,

ever since it became clear on ELS that it �s not allowed to upload the texts of pop songs because a simple text doesn �t make it an ESL activity and is nothing created by the person who uploaded the worksheet,
people upload popsongs all the time and just leave out a couple of words and claim it �s a listening exercise.

These worksheets don �t get deleted.

Is that what these people do with pop songs in class? Leave out a couple of words, make students find them and that �s it?
What I find particularly pointless is leaving out the same word in the refrain over and over again or else leaving a blank once and the refrain complete after the other stanzas so that students just have to copy the word from the other refrains.

But, folks, is that really something that deserves to be uploaded here? It �s a matter of fifty seconds for a teacher to copy/paste a song and delete a couple of words. REstoring a text or having a text completed is a matter of a couple of minutes in class.
What follows then or what should follow then, how teachers proceed with the song text and what sort of lesson they make out of it is the interesting bit - but that is where the worksheets end.
Too disappointing.

I think we should ban worksheets on songs that only consist of the song and a couple of blanks ... too minimalistic.
What do you think?

8 Aug 2010      

blunderbuster
Germany

Dorothea,

The variety of printables we find here is as big as can be. The tasks that different teachers expect their students to be able to do and what members want this here to be vary just as much.

Many weeks ago I suggested a rating feature for printables (that some other similar websites are now implementing) and the anger broke loose. I always see the criticism I receive as an incentive to improve, apparently, others see the criticism they receive or the mere fact that others might not see them as perfect as an insult.

Some have suggested a minimum content criterion, in my humorless, harsh manner I say that this will never happen because what we (in general and specifically speaking) need differs far too much from what the others need.

I think it is amazing that with all those different expectations we (some of us) are still getting along or are at least able to ignore what we dislike about each other to the extent that prevents virtual murder (at least that ;o)

Regina

8 Aug 2010     

elderberrywine
Germany

Oh, blunderbuster, so now you have given up criticizing, trying to improve, making suggestions?
How long do you think you �ll be able to stick to this attitude? (just joking!)

8 Aug 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Well, let �s just say there are more important things in life and causes worth getting upset about.

Love it or leave it and I am still here.

BTW, your initial post is far too long for some people�s taste/attention span ;o)

8 Aug 2010     

Mariethe House
France

BTW, your initial post is far too long for some people�s taste/attention span ;o)

I just wonder if it  is really

necessary to be so scornful.Disapprove

8 Aug 2010     

donapeter
Romania

I am an old member of the site so I can tell the rating feature is not a good idea. We had it at the beginning and it didn �t work. As we are a small community, only esl teachers and maybe some students, we can be/become jealous, envious, subjective etc etc etc. Some of us are blamed to be part of clans/gangs/bands etc. So....what �s the point?!

I agree with elderberrywine as some of us upload " almost nothing". The answer is simple, anyway, upload smth means sharing smth which means we all respect the rules of the site. More than that, if someone downloads the lousy ( sorry-I mean simple) ws we get points and so we can download valuable wss (complex, flawless, useful etc). 

Edelberrywine: do you know why such wss still exists? Because there are at least 5 members who download them!!! And 5 points are enough to download .....let �s say...5 of Katiana �s wss. 

8 Aug 2010     

Fallen Angel
Portugal

Well, the same happens with some reading texts. There are also some people that copy and paste texts from the Net and just leave out a couple of words. But it�s up to us whether to download them or not, so I don�t think we should ban this kind of worksheets. If they didn�t get many downloads, people would stop uploading them; the thing is that some of those worksheets have lots of downloads, which means that many people find them useful.  

Have a nice Sunday!

Cristina

8 Aug 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Marithe: Yes, I guess. ;o)

See Dona, everyone can learn, including myself, just have to sit and watch long enough. ;o) We couldn�t even consent to deleting the ws that have less than 5 downloads.....that teaches....picture below....

8 Aug 2010     

elderberrywine
Germany

donapeter and fallen angel, thanks for taking my suggestion seriously and commenting on it! 

8 Aug 2010     

Babs1966
France

We are lot of teachers and don �t have all the same needs.

Of course, I find it a bit useless to have ws like this but let �s put it that way... You download what you NEED or LIKE.

Personaly I use songs but I prefer adding comprehensive work arround it, wordserach for students. Reflection on the meaning of the lyrics and so on.

As we don �t have the same NEEDS or WANTS

I think we should not juge what some teachers do or don �t do as US can do otherwise.

In a big community like this there should be material to feed everybodies � NEEDS.

Have a good Sunday Thumbs Up

8 Aug 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

I did take you seriously!!! My sense of humor....argh, I �ll just shoot myself or ride, uh, hop off into the sunset.

Babs, I believe that is exactly what I said.

8 Aug 2010     

1    2    3    4    Next >