Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > THE ESL BOOK CLUB!    

THE ESL BOOK CLUB!

JulietaVL
Mexico

As a latin girl I �ve read all of the books of Gabriel Garc�a Marquez but still my favorite one is "Cien a�os de soledad" ... "A hundred years of loneliness" (I don not know if this is the proper name in English)

I love this author

19 Aug 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Julie - I love that book too.
In English it is called A hundred years of Solitude.

Great list Silke - I just read all of Steig Larsson �s books this summer and love them!

19 Aug 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Silke, we have the same tastes in those kinds of "bloody" books. I give my books when I �m done reading them and at one time, a friend of mine said "Could you read a romance novel once in a while? Seems to me that a head must roll in the first chapter in all the books you choose to read" I do like a good thriller that keeps me on the edge of my seat.

20 Aug 2009     

wakebeauty
Brazil

Hey dear colleagues, WHAT A GREAT TOPIC TO *R*E*A*D*!!!

I �ve seen some colleagues talk about Paulo Coelho �s book as their favorite ones. Paulo Coelho is Brazilian and I �ve never read any of his books for when I was at college my literature professors used to tell me that he was a bad writer, that he hadn �t style, that he didn �t know any thing about literature, etc. In Brazil he isn �t respect by the people involved in literature, though he is very well know and admired outside Brazil...

But now I won �t listen to what all my professors told me and I �ll start reading his books...

BTW, my favorite books are:

- the last two I read:

* A great biography:                 * A great novel

I also loved: Pride and prejudice  by Jane Austen,  The Little Prince by Saint-exup�ry, Antoine but favorite one is The Relic by E�a de Queiroz

A little kiss,
wakebeauty.

20 Aug 2009     

JulietaVL
Mexico

Oh Manon... now I remember where you spend your weekends!! hahaha

You are the best customer of those book stores

Hugs my friend =)

20 Aug 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Yeah Julieta... Sometimes I �m the one making suggestions to employees...They should deposit my paychecks directly at the bookstore. LOL

20 Aug 2009     

Zora
Canada

Can I make a reading suggestion to our gore loving crime lovers Silke and Manonski??

A great thriller is "Out" by Natsuo Kirino.

I picked up this novel by the Japanese writer on sale - it was cheap and I thought "what the heck" for that price...

It was probably one of the most interesting books that I �ve read in a long time; simply because it �s not your typical crime story and the story is set in modern day Japan - it shows what the "real" life of normal (and not so normal) people is like there... it was an eye-opener to say the least.

20 Aug 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

LOL Zora... Thanks for the idea.
In my defense, I not only read these types of books, I �ll enjoy any kind of stories that are well written. That �s why I wrote earlier that Cutting for Stone (Abraham Verghese)was a book that blew my mind recently. A lot of times, you can skip paragraphs in a book and it won �t make a difference. This one is different, not only you can �t skip paragraphs but you enjoy every single one of them.
Like a lot of people, I read the Twilight series. For me, this was fast food literature. (hope I �m not offending anyone here). Cutting for Stone was a 5-course meal and every course was delicious.

20 Aug 2009     

Isabelucha
Portugal

Great great topic!!! It �s good to get to know other titles and learn a bit more!!
Well, one of my favourite authors is Nicholas Sparks. I �ve already read many of his works but I loved A Bend in the Road and The Lucky One.
I also liked Isabel Allende �s The House of the Spirits a lot!!! It �s really great!

20 Aug 2009     

moravc
Czech Republic

I have just finished reading Twillight. I love detective stories - Dick Francis - English  - original - of course... Just trying to read P.D. James - excellent English - quite difficult though...
I also love all books by Jane Austen, Bronte sisters - Jane Eyre !!, Charles Dickens, many classics - The French Lieutenant �s Woman, Portrait of a Lady, Lorna Doone, Tess of d �Ubervilles, Memoirs of Geisha, The name of the Rose, Anne of Green Gables, Secret Garden, ...
I have seen The Thorn Birds as well, The Horse Whisperer, I have read The Little Prince hundred times! , Gerald Durrell books - all of them - so funny and entertaining!
I have recently listened to North and South and I had read Gone with the Wind again :-)
I like spooky stories as well - Christmas Carol, Tales of Mystery and Imagination, Day of the Triffids, Midwich Cuckoos, Crysalids, Chocky - all by John Wydham - psychological sci-fi, and mysteries by Mary Stewart - easy to read...
I cannot live without bbc radio dramatisations... They are all fabulous! If you don �t listen to bbc audio, you miss a looot ! Many classics on air every month :-D

I would like to read some romance, classics... Any suggestions? Wink
Love in the time of Cholera? Girl with the Pearl Earring? The Lady and the Unicorn? Broken Heart
Please PM me if you have any good tips for me :-D Thx!

20 Aug 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    5    6    7    Next >