Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Cancelled account    

Cancelled account

zailda
Brazil

@soon, the first ws was reported one year ago, and 4 of them were reported 24 hours before the others were... Tecnically, she had one year to update or delete the first. And she had 24 hours to explain herself or to update the 4 wss reported. Of course if she had given at least an explanation her wss wouldn �t be erased and I would be the first to ask the members who sent me the links for the others to give her more time.

Others with many points had wss reported, they came to the reporting page and asked for time, we did give them more time, so we showed we respect them and understand they are different from people who become here only to cheat.

@yulia, as I see her profile was restored and I have no idea if we are allowed to report some if they are copied.

I don �t know Mar, I have no idea who she is, I only remember that I saw one or two of her wss at the recent contributions page and found them amazing. I understand she spent time preparing it, but I still have no idea how much time the cheaters spend collecting work from the net and doing what we call "cosmetic changes", some are amazing and get many downloads too. In fact it doesn �t matter, the objective fact is that they are copies, so I treat them.

Now I understand the facts how they are: there are rules, but some apply to new users who just uploaded three worksheets and the three were exact copies and not to users who have spent many many hours making contributions for this website, helping other teachers, etc.

Sad to notice that. When Victor told us he needed help to keep his site away from copies and people breaking the rules and made us moderators I was happy to contribute and devoted many hours checking and voting. I �m sure that I spent more hours here than the owner, just because I wanted to help and pay in some way for the wonderful help I get here.

And what I got in return? harrassment by PM and on the forum, people accused me of lack of common decency, of being cheeky, vindictive, jealous, of being a witch, playing God, and that I was trying to be more catholic than the Pope. They also told me to get a life.

Why I need this in my life? I don �t need to compensate anything here. I have a life and people repect me and my work in real life. They don �t call me names and thank me for the hours I spend trying to help.

I see now that goodnesses was right, I was being more catholic than the Pope. Why should I defend rules when the owner tells me "never mind"?

The owner has every right to break the rules he himself has created to protect his site. He has every right to change them whenever he wants. He has the right to do whatever he wants.

I ask myself how many points are necessary to be among the ones "
who have spent many many hours making contributions for this website, helping other teachers, etc." and to be missed when not here. To be among the ones who deserve a special treatment. To deserve respect.

how many seas must a white dove sail
Before she sleeps in the sand?
Yes, �n � how many times must the cannon balls fly
Before they �re forever banned?
The answer, my friend, is blowin � in the wind,
The answer is blowin � in the wind.

In fact, something has been lost. I don �t care anymore.

15 Feb 2010     

manonski (f)
Canada

I hear you Zailda and I agree with you. I �m asking myself a lot of questions right now.

If I get stopped by the police for speeding, it won �t matter how long I �ve been driving or how many times I �ve respected the law, the rules will be applied and I �ll get the ticket.Seems it �s a bit different in here. I have NOTHING against Mar. I just don �t think the rules are fair and equal to everyone. 
I love the site and like Ladybird, I still enjoy coming here but from now on, I �ll refrain from going to the reported page. I will not report printables anymore, I will not vote anymore. I �m going on strike.Wink

Let others deal with that.

15 Feb 2010     

Yulia Mo
Russian Federation

I saw Mar �s profile restored. So i wonder what �s gonna happen next.
@Zailda. I support you in what you say and it �s really sad that things like that make us go further away from each other. May be now is the time when the site is losing something precious.Unhappy

15 Feb 2010     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

"Great"!
So on one hand there was a big fight against Yayincilik stealing from this website, but if someone uploads copies to this site, is that OK? I wonder. Well, this made me to decide to remove the info about my support in the fight against Yayincilik from my blog. Because I would feel like a hypocrite. I am going to do it right now and also ask Victor to remove the link to my blog. I also think about ending reporting, because it �s wrong, disgraceful job, as I have found out.
Sad.

EDIT: What is more appalling - all the stolen wss are still there. I couldn�t believe my eyes. Well, as David - farewell, reporting. Someone called me a hypocrite, but because I am not, I don�t care any more.

15 Feb 2010     

zailda
Brazil

As I previously said, if the owner doesn �t care, why should I care?

15 Feb 2010     

David Lisgo
Japan

It �s a hollow victory for some.  Nothing personal against Mar but for sure I will never report another worksheet nor do any more moderating.  It doesn �t matter an iota that some of Mar �s worksheets break the rules because there are none for her. There is now no point to my work here; I am such a vain person.  At least my wife will be happy as I will have a few hours extra time each day.  I really want to apologise to all those members whose accounts I caused to be deleted. I now see that I was in error.

15 Feb 2010     

zailda
Brazil

That �s ironic that a bunch of "users who have spent many many hours making contributions for this website, helping other teachers, etc." are here to defend the new users � right to be treated equally.

We are "
users who have spent many many hours making contributions for this website, helping other teachers, etc.". Why should we care? It �s clear now that the rules are for the others, why to contribute? why to work? No one cares at all.

15 Feb 2010     

cheezels
New Zealand

This is my own personal view. After this post I will not be contributing here again. And I am going to tell you why.

I simply don �t like the shouting and bullying that takes place at least once a week on this site by always the same members. The members who "I will say what I want because that is what I want to say and stuff it if I actually hurt or humiliate anyone along the way" is the reason I don �t wish to participate. And the fact that I have noticed people are too scared to post or to disagree because of some very vocal members who will end up rubbishing them in public.

You are all educated people so I do not understand WHY you cannot understand what has really happened.

1. A year ago if there were copied printables they were removed there was a slap on the wrist so to speak and that was the end of it. You had to do something really really bad to be kicked off the site. There was not the three strikes and you �re out. The copying was NO WAY NEAR the proportions that it is today. The site today IS NOT the site it was a year ago. In membership, rules or anything else. It was a site that flourished with enthusiasm, friendship and a passion for teaching.

2. A YEAR ago there was an error in judgement from a member who had been around for a while. Victor said AT THE TIME don �t worry about it. WHY? Maybe because he had no idea of how quickly this site would grow in a year. Why? Because she told the truth about how it came to be. WHY? Because she was a long time contributor who made a mistake. Victor BACK THEN (and now) will always listen to what has happened and then decide what to do.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. SHOULD he have deleted them back then. YES. BUT HE DIDN �T. so now we have this situation.

3: Victor owns this site and we are guests. He has the discretion to do what he likes when he likes and quite frankly if you don �t agree with him then don �t come here. Simple. He has stated what happened and why at the start of this thread but out of a lack of respect many of you don �t care.

4. None of us were privy to Victor �s and Mar �s conversation last year. None of us know exactly what happened or why. YET FAR TOO many people were wanting to practically hang her from a tree. I TRIED to tell you all that this was different that these had been ok �d a year ago. I TRIED to say WAIT... only to be shot down. To be told Victor would never do that, this is not true and so on.
Instead of just having a slap on the wrist a year ago, she was hunted and humiliated in public now. I am sure she would have deleted or modified them a year ago IF Victor had said to. He didn �t so they stayed. Is she meant to be a mind reader that down the track she knew this was going to happen. Why would she delete or change them if they had been ok �d?
As I mentioned in another thread THERE ARE SHADES OF GREY SOMETIMES and for those who live in their perfect black and white worlds, well lucky you.

I don �t condone copying or stealing. But I accept what Mar said a YEAR AGO and KNEW that the sites owner had let is pass back then. For THAT reason I strongly disagree with how this has been handled. Why persecute someone without the facts when it was not just a simple case?

5. I felt incredibly sick at the glee displayed by many people that someone had been ejected from the site. Absolutely disgusting.

6. I don �t disagree that many members here spend a lot of time reporting and voting. Just because you write something in the comments though doesn �t mean that you are the only ones there. Many times I write nothing when I am there.

7. The issue of why it was in the moderating section for so long. I couldn �t vote again. I had voted a year ago. I suspect many older members had which is why it was there for so long.

I know that the people who are shouting the loudest will once again dismiss all I say. My hope is that other members who are not so vocal will see just how ridiculous it is that this situation has been blown so out of proportion for what actually happened A YEAR AGO. And that the actions of some are not the feelings and actions of others.

Victor still shows compassion and kindness , he listens and tries to see things from a range of views.
Do any of you?

If you don �t agree with him then I am sure that you all don �t need or want what this site has to offer and will be creating another one somewhere else no?

To my long term friends here on the site, you have my email most of you. This is not a decision I have taken lightly. I have seen so many people leave due to the way they were treated by a minority and the vocal minority have been spoiling my pleasure of participating here for quite some time.

Hej d�

15 Feb 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi friends

Know what?
The master rules, the servers obey.

I feel quite embarrassed by the whole time so many of you dedicated to a brilliant challenge: keep this site clean.
And why?
Because the master asked for help and some of us , poor silly members, with no life, decided to dedicate some of our personal time to help the master.
Why?
Because we were sure this site was different and we should contribute in every way we could.

Now I ask?

What is the difference between  Mar �s stolen worksheets ( I don �t know her, never spoke to her, have nothing , personal ,  against her )   and  Yayincilik stealing from this members � site.

If,  and I am sure they do, they still show up around here, they are for sure laughing a lot. We spit to the sky and it came back down and fell on our heads.

Again, Victor, please, decide and make it clear: many of us deserve a clear answer. How is it going from now on?
If I upload a printable from any other site or book, what will you call me ?
A cheater?

or
A nice fellow who has made some fair contributions and, some now and then shows up and gives a hand, when she thinks she can help?

What do you call someone who uploads a copy and you have never heard about him/her? That person is a cheater?
Tell us.

hugs, Victor, I believe in this site, I believe you, don �t let us down,
Linda

15 Feb 2010     

zailda
Brazil

@cheezels
We are not discussing what happened one year ago. The thread is from yesterday.

If we speaking our minds in public annoys you, so sorry about that. In all sites the minority speaks while the majority thinks. It doesn �t mean they don �t have voice.

I agree that to speak your mind in public is a risk of being thrown tomatoes. We don �t care. Everyone is free to agree or disagree, we only are used to express what we think. If that bothers you, sorry again.

If you find it ridiculous to want clear rules for everyone, sorry for you. If the majority agrees, sorry for the site.

15 Feb 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    5    6    7    8    9    10    11    12    13    14    15    16    17    18    19    20    21    22    Next >