Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Rocking the Boat    

Rocking the Boat

Yulia Mo
Russian Federation

I �m not gonna attack anyone. I �ll express my opinion. I �m very new here, and since then i learned a lot, i appreciate every comment, every good word, everything done for me on this site. I never saw or experienced such nice atmosphere on any other site. Why? Because i prefer to be here for a professional reason, not for fighting, that �s why i simply withdraw myself from the conflicts arising, prefer not to answer. And when i see something nice happening (people helping each other in so many ways, nice wss appearing, members taking time to leave a nice comment, which i don �t always doEmbarrassed) i feel like we are a big family, it makes me smile and warms up my day. That �s why recently i quitted most of the sites i �ve been a part of, because i �m sick of fighting and negative emotions.
At the same time, while staying out of conflicts i understand the need to keep the site clean. that �s why i try to find time to see the wss and report if i consider it shouldn �t belong here. To me it has nothing to do with being rude, it �s a part of a deal, i get a lot, so i have to put something in. I �m truly amazed by people copying stuff from other sites and writing yelling descriptions like DOWNLOAD IT NOW. I don �t think those members have place in our family. Like Zailda said, we are all different and we shouldn �t put our personal characteristics as criteria for staying here. But being fair is the criterion so is mutual respect.
Hugs to all.
Yulia

21 Jan 2010     

Mariethe House
France

I quote you Zailda:

"if people are nice, I �m nice too. If they are not nice at all, what do you expect from me?"

What do you call this?  In what way was this member not nice to you? He was not even addressing you personally!  And look how disrespectful and humiliating you were to him/her!!!

So if you allow me, I will say;" If you are not nice at all,what do you expect from the members of this community?" stop complaining about people aggressing you : If you are nice and respectful, we will be nice and respectful  too!   Just as simple as that!

kmahlawy
Bahrain

Why did you cancil my account?

Hi,
    I was surprised to find out my account ( cazzo ) has been cancilled for breaking the rules. At least you should tell me what rules I have broken. I have made my contributions , and even if I made a mistake, I don �t deserve to be treated like this!
     Yours
   Cazzo

19 Jan 2010      

zailda
Brazil

21 Jan 2010     

cecio_13
Argentina

Shocked

21 Jan 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

Do members get an advance warning when their account is about to be cancelled? Do they get a grace period in order to redress the situation? Do they get a clear explanation why this happened?

I don �t know the answers to this but they should be all yes. Somehow I doubt that �s the case. The same goes for reported contributions. The author gets a PM after their ws has been removed. Why not send a message explaining the ws was reported and give some time to make amendments? It just seems to me the (automated) system is making more foes than friends. (And don �t come up with �They should know the rules, because there aren �t that many and they �re not always clear enough �).

21 Jan 2010     

JudyHalevi
Israel

Julieta, Mostly I agree with you, but I don �t think that people need to fear if they make their own worksheets.  I very much admire some of the worksheets here, but I would not think of taking their layouts, material or information.  I am not as proficient as some on this site, and more proficient than others, but I try my best and create what is good for my students.  I then upload.  If it gets points good, if not I delete, the MAIN issue for me is, "DO MY STUDENTS GAIN SOMETHING FROM THE WORKSHEET?". 

This stealing is a serious issue, which is destroying this site.  I think that Victor is an angel for keeping this site open and running.  I think that long ago I would have said, "G-d save all of them, but I don �t need to babysit these guys."

Hugfrom a very rainy Israel

Judy 

21 Jan 2010     

Sonn
Russian Federation

PhilipR, I ablolutely agree with you.

21 Jan 2010     

JulietaVL
Mexico

Ohhh this has been a bad day in the site.

Yesterday I got really mad when I saw a poster reported and deleted... the reasons (comments) were these:

* remove because it says "lesson" and not "poster" and if the author does not bother in explaining it is a poster why should I bother in keeping it?

*remove becasue the word "white" is written in colour gray (as if we could see a word written in colour white in a white background)

* the words are written with Word Art, I can do that in 5 minutes

* the layout is poor

* I see no use in this

Broken Heart

Can somebody pleaseeee explain me where does it say (in the rules) that wss with poor layouts, bad descriptions, using Word Art, spelling mistakes, etc should be removed???

And... can somebody please explain me why some moderators give the impression their opinion is more valid than the rules?

21 Jan 2010     

eng789
Israel

I completely agree with zora,  we have forgotten that the reason for the site is to help each other become better teachers through our wss and the forum. 
Some people need more help than others for whatever the reason. 
Instead of being critical,  we should be helping. 
We are all busy,  but once in a while if you see a ws that could be improved upon as far as the content goes (I �m not talking about appearance) maybe download it,  fix it and send it to the member.   Saying that you saw potential for a good ws so you corrected it and sent it back for them to re-upload.  Hopefully it will be appreciated. 

And finally,  as a monitor -  when I see full page comments on the abuse page - with people insulting each other,  I refuse to even read them and I don �t vote.   I think that the voting should only be done with the "buttons".  There would less clutter if we stop with the "I agree or don �t agree".   
There is no need for comment unless you need to prove that the ws is actually stolen or copied.  It �s enough - just to vote. 

So from now on if you don �t see my name in the comments in the abuse section,  it doesn �t mean that I haven �t voted.  I will still be doing my part.

Take care

Barbara

21 Jan 2010     

douglas
United States

My first worksheets were "crappy" too, I �m glad no one belittled them--I probably would have never continued to try and improve them.

Douglas

21 Jan 2010     

Zora
Canada

I thank everyone who has participated here BUT I �d like to point out that this thread was HIJACKED in a way that people who might have otherwise commented here - where AFRAID to.

People do NOT like to have their views criticized and pulled apart if they don �t agree with yours.And THIS is one of the things I am referring to. There is very little TOLERANCE, people say something and others jump all over them for having a different view!! Is that right? I think not. So, please let others speak!!  We are all allowed to have an opinion.

21 Jan 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    5    6    Next >