Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Rocking the Boat    

Rocking the Boat

Zora
Canada

I thank everyone who has participated here BUT I �d like to point out that this thread was HIJACKED in a way that people who might have otherwise commented here - where AFRAID to.

People do NOT like to have their views criticized and pulled apart if they don �t agree with yours.And THIS is one of the things I am referring to. There is very little TOLERANCE, people say something and others jump all over them for having a different view!! Is that right? I think not. So, please let others speak!!  We are all allowed to have an opinion.

21 Jan 2010     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Well, as I am not very popular (and I don�t really mind, because it�s better to keep one�s opinion than change it by the actual situation), I only say Zailda is right at some points.
Before uploading a new wss there are clearly stated the rules and I expect everyone here can read and understand them. I often send PMs to newbies whose wss need some minor changes and if they ask, I�ll try to help. But I cannot see one single reason why I should be polite and nice to someone who breaks the rules several times, because such person had to be awared something�s wrong and just keeps doing these things on purpose.  Some kind of arguments belongs to every society otherwise it could not develop. And even in families are arguments. I don�t like them (even thought some might think I do) but I will always stand for what I think. What makes me sad even now that some people who cause arguments and are not very nice and polite, very often they are sarcastic and accsuing others from different things, in above comments write how they are nice to everybody. Well, we tend to think better of ourselves so..

Have a nice day everybody, I�m off to work.

21 Jan 2010     

DedicatedTeacher
United Arab Emirates

Hi Zora & everyone,

I �m really thankful to this site that taught and still teaching me a lot about being helpful, caring and cooaprative. I might not  be able to feel the difference you �re referring to, but I do see the amount of threads discussing cheating cases. I do try be active in the forum as well by skimming the new threads and looking for those I can help.

For the amount of learning I get and satisfaction this site provides me, I shall never leave it and try hard to be as active and helpful as possible.

I shall take the chance to thank you all ESLprintables members. I hope you keep your sharing and caring spirit.

21 Jan 2010     

zailda
Brazil

@Marie, since you mentioned me in your comment and I was sleeping (sometimes I need to) I want you to know that this person who I addressed to is someone whose account was cancelled after the 3 strikes, in other words, a cheater.

As I said, I �m not nice to people who are not nice either. Cheating the system is one of the worst things a person can do here, and stealing is the thing that contributes to the main problems in the site.

As Victor cancelled his account, he shouldn �t have opened another one, and come to the forum again. If a person is banned, that �s because he was not considered worthy of being part of a community.

I want you to be aware that this person doesn �t need you as a lawyer, because he keeps sending me "nice" messages - which I have already reported to Victor - so he has voice and knows how to defend himself. Of course, judging from the content of his messages, I must say he is not polite at all and I agree that he shouldn �t take part in this community. So, from what I have learned from him, he �s not the kind of person I �d like to deal here - and I doubt you would.

About the hijacking, people have nothing to fear if they don �t do anything wrong. Everyone is free to speak his mind, and if they don �t attack anyone, I see no reason to be afraid.

When I first logged in here I was advised to keep away from the forum, because people is fast to attack you, and unfortunatelly I have to agree with the person who told me so. Leaving a comment on the forum open a way for any sorts of insults - blatant or veiled - and sometimes after a comment a person leaves the signal of the poison dripping as his signature.

It seems some people don �t like to express their points at all, they only look for ways of replying - and not always in a nice way.

That �s a pity that some don �t have anything better to do than criticize and point out other people �s mistakes or weak points. Maybe this kind of behavior is part of someone �s culture, I don �t know.

The only thing I know is that maintaining the site �s atmosphere nice isn �t more important than keeping the site clean and getting rid of the cheaters who unfairly take advantage of the site �s resources. They are both important, so sometimes unpleasant things have to be discussed, and whether the tone is nice or not is up to each person participating in the discussion and depends on his education and politeness.

EDIT: About the cheater Marie was defending, his new account was cancelled. As I suspected, banned members are not allowed to create a new account.

Have a nice day!

21 Jan 2010     

Zora
Canada

Just a side note to you zailda about cheaters. There is no way to ever keep a cheater off the site. Banning will not work if they really want to come back. All a cheater must do is change terminals where they log on from. A different IP address and new email and voil�! A new account.

21 Jan 2010     

zailda
Brazil

Hi!

I �ll report to Victor every cheater who opens a new account - as I did this time.

21 Jan 2010     

cheezels
New Zealand

Hi everyone,

Wow I can see that there are many different points here.

I would like to firstly say that what I am about to say is not meant with any offence. So please do not take any.

Sometimes when I see  arguments/heated discussions happening on the site I often think it is because of a lack of communication. Sometimes I think it is because many people here are communicating in not their first language and sometimes the meaning or intention is misunderstood and interpreted by others for whom English is also not their first language. That leaves a whole lot of room for a lot of miscommunication don�t you think?

Now I am not saying that there are people on here who are rubbish at English. What I am saying is that sometimes the subtleties of English are lost in translation when this is the language we are communicating in. Often I see it more as a cultural clash of backgrounds and ideas too. We are all unique and in our various countries and cultures there are different expectations of how people communicate with each other. I �m not saying right or wrong. Just different.

If we were all located together in a truly international workplace we would in reality be more tolerant and polite towards each other. I would hope anyway.

I think WE ALL have the potential to make this a very warm and friendly place where we support each other and for it to be a place where we can  SHARE our experiences, knowledge and of course our work.

I love what philipr has done regarding the template issue. I would love to be able to help newbies out more too.

Of course as in real life when something is really great it is going to attract people who do not share the same vision and who will try to cheat the system.
But in every country in every workplace, in every office, in every nook and cranny in the world their are going to be dishonest people. But while I personally do not like these types of people, we now have systems in place to at least catch MOST and that has to be a good thing.

I think it is too easy to let emotion take over when we are passionate about something.

I personally would like to see more politeness and tolerance on this site towards each other. If you wouldn �t way it in real life then think twice about writing it. If you would way it then think about being diplomatic instead and think about how the other person would react. If it would be in a negative way, then it could be a good time to rethink the approach.

Maybe that is my English colonial side coming through.

We need to be considerate towards others to help foster the kind and sharing spirit that seems to be struggling to find a place on the site these days.

Just my POV.

21 Jan 2010     

Mariethe House
France

Maybe it �s a difference of culture as many of you seem to think but i would never ever send that sort of picture to anyone to shut him up! Not even to my worst ennemy!
I am not anyone �s lawyer... I just can make a difference when someone is polite or not!
And I am sorry zailda if i answer when you are still asleep: It �s the time when I am awake!

21 Jan 2010     

zailda
Brazil

@marie:
If you had a remark to make on my behavior, since you �re so concerned on keeping the good atmosphere on the site, you shouldn �t have opened a thread on the forum, you should have been aware that it �d ruin the "good atmosphere" you seem to be so engaged in preserving.

I am the only person responsible for my behavior, and if you wanted me to stop or to apologize (I won �t) or whatever, you should have addressed to me personally and not started a thread on the forum.

The way you did, it seems you were acting behind my back. What did you want from it? Was it a poll for me to be banned? To apologize in public? To humiliate me?

Sorry to say that none of the previous alternatives happened as you already know, so whatever your intentions can be (they are not clear for me up to now) you didn �t make your point.

If the intention was to initiate a battle for the "good atmosphere", the whole plan backfired, the content of your thread was not nice at all.

If I acted that way I had my reasons and was supported by members who think the same as I think about cheaters. If you don �t agree you have the right, but you don �t have any right to tell me how I should treat cheaters. As I said, if I belonged to some cultures, the treatment would be much worse.

If you don �t agree with other person �s POV it �s not enough to try imposing yours. I �m different from you, and that �s all. I don �t think cheaters deserve any portion of kindness or politeness I received from my mother, and even the education.

But I want you to think that whereas I sent the "impolite picture" (and I didn �t have the intention to be nice at all) to a cheater, you addressed your unpleasant thread to a member who has never done anything against you, and if I did, the right thing to do among humans, should be clear things up first, and not start an attack (as I interpret your thread) for free.

If you are so fast to judge a person that has never talked to you before, I suggest you use this skill with your students, they may need it much more than me, I �m an adult and I don �t need anyone telling me what �s the right thing to do.

In the future, whenever you have something to remark about me, just click on that small envelope under my avatar and clear things up in the same way every human being uses to do, before starting another unpleasant thread about me.

I �ve never had the pleasure to talk directly to you before, and after what you did without a clear reason for me, I hope I never will.

Have a nice day, week, month, year.

21 Jan 2010     

Mariethe House
France

To all                  Smile

21 Jan 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    5    6    Next >