Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Cancelled account    

Cancelled account

victor
Spain

Cancelled account

I �ve just logged in after two days to find sad news: Mar �s account has been cancelled.

I �ve always appreciated Mar. She has always been a helpful, friendly and honest person. I �ve missed her for the last months, and now I see that she has been banned from the website.

Yes, I know that many users are banned everyday, and I don �t pay attention. I wish I could deeply analyse every case, but that �s impossible.

Some of you say "If this had been a new user with 24 points, we would have removed the worksheets and the account without doubt. She shouldn �t be treated differently just because she has thousands of points".

Well, I think that points are not only numbers. When a user has thousands of points it usually means that this user has spent many many hours making contributions for this website, helping other teachers, etc. Should this person be treated the same that a new user who just uploaded three worksheets and the three were exact copies? No, I don �t think so...

I don �t find time to study all the cases individually, but at least I �ll do that for Mar. I think that she deserves it.

About one year ago, Mar told me that many of her worksheets were made by her mother (who is also a teacher). You know that we are only allowed to upload our personal work, because otherwise we can �t be sure if it is original or not. Anyway, being her mother, I thought there would not be any problem, and I told her not to worry about it. It was my mistake. It is clear that some of those worksheets were taken from an old book, but I �m sure that Mar didn �t know that.

Of course, those worksheets have to be removed, but I think that her account should not be cancelled. After all, it was my mistake.

Victor

14 Feb 2010      

lamyaa
Egypt

victor , i agree with u ..am in favor for returning her back :)Clap

14 Feb 2010     

lamyaa
Egypt

victor , i agree with u ..am in favor for returning her back :)Clap

14 Feb 2010     

Aimee/S.
Israel

Thanks for your understanding, kindness and fairness, dear Victor!
I appreciate your true sense of justice and I support all your words. It will be great to have Mar with us again... Hopefully you �ll be able to clarify this painful issue and bring her back.
All the best and thank you so much, again.
Aimee

14 Feb 2010     

Zora
Canada

Thank you Victor.

My opinion is the same as yours - points are not just numbers. They are also proof of a real dedication to this site and the persons wanting to help others.

Mar spent a lot of hours contributing - her work wasn �t just copy and paste - it was elaborately done and set up in an easy to understand format.  She was always working to make the site a better place and when I saw the way that she was treated, my heart sank.

So thank you once again for considering her case personally.

Linda

14 Feb 2010     

customer
Italy

Victor, I agree too, definitely...

Thanks for your work and for your understanding,
Chiara

14 Feb 2010     

JulietaVL
Mexico

I want to raise my voice and express the following:

I am deeply sorry and hurted cuz Mar �s account was cancelled, she was an icon in this site, she was a helpful member who did nothing but help... I know she "broke" rules and actually I agreed that some of her wss should be removed but never thought that her account would be cancelled...

Victor and everybody else...

Maybe I am being a fool expressing this but I have this feeling inside me and I want to speak out loud and say: this site is breaking into small pieces, the lovely funny and charming site is not here anymore!!

Do you have fun here as before? .. I don �t... do you find lovely words of friendship here? I do but not as often as before... THIS SITE IS NOT THE SAME AND I AM TOTALLY SURE THAT IF WE GO ON WITH THE SAME ATTITUDE THIS PLACE IS GONNA END UP VERY SOON

That is all my problem... some of you are behaving in a way that you want to be fair but at the same time you are breaking lots of people`s hearts and making people feel scared of everything...

It is IMPOSSIBLE to avoid people copying from the internet, it is totally impossible, we ALL do it once in a while, and we behave as the police officers of the internet deleting stuff and saying people they do not belong this place cuz they are thieves,  and since they copied a bunch of sentences they are not welcome to this places anymore!! etc etc...

What effect does this behaviour have on those persons? What effect does it have in a person like Mar who had thousands and thousands of points and she was like "fired" from here without any expalnation?

Dunno you, but I do not enjoy this place as before...

I hope you all see my point: there are more important things than a bunch of copied sentences.... like friendship, helpfulness, love, respect and the existence of a site where we all feel like a community... that community is no longer in existence, I do not see it, I do not recognize it.

I still keep my dear friends via pm or facebook but in this site, in the forum... NO, friendhisp is over =( and you may say: ESLprintables is not a social network and I totally agree but if we did not see it like a social place we wouldn �t be looking forward to have a congress...

That was my dream in the past, to meet lots of people from this place, actually I reinforced my idea when I went to Canada and met Manon and Giovanni, it was such a wonderful experience that I wanted to live that again but... but... to be sincere, I do not want to know people anymore except those ones with whom I have a close friendship...

And if you look carefully, you �ll realize that is not only me who is raising the voice of " it is enough, stop being like that "...  as time goes by more and more members are joining to say that attitude is killing the site.

Well... I feel better now that I typed all this...

14 Feb 2010     

Aimee/S.
Israel

I �m with you dear Julieta, you �re so brave to let your heart speak... Thanks my dear friend.

14 Feb 2010     

eng789
Israel

I �m with you Victor. 

Hugs,
Barbara

14 Feb 2010     

Zora
Canada

Thank you Julieta. You have just expressed very nicely what I have been feeling lately. And I really hope people start to wake up and take notice of these things.

Hugs!

Linda

14 Feb 2010     

Sonn
Russian Federation

I �ve seen at least two moderators with many poins whose wss have been deleted and their accounts have been cancelled. Their wss were reported 3 or 4 in one day, so they didn �t even have a chance to update or delete them themselves. These people contributed a lot to the site and I �m sure their wss made this site so popular. I know that the wss were reported as copies, but I think there was a misunderstanding. I think the should be a new rule: if one member has more than 2 ws reported a day s/he must be given a chance to update or delete at least one of them.

14 Feb 2010     

1    2    3    4    5    6    7    8    9    10    11    12    13    14    15    16    17    18    19    20    21    22    Next >