Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Rocking the Boat    

Rocking the Boat

Zora
Canada

Rocking the Boat

Hi everyone!  

Now, I am probably going to be highly unpopular today for expressing how I feel about certain things that have been going on lately. However, I know that there are a lot of other members out there that are just as disappointed as I am and haven�t the nerve to say what I am about to say...

Firstly, I want to say that the focus of this site, the generousity that I first felt when I joined up here has disappeared exponentially. There is less generousity, less sharing, less wanting to help others like there was before. Now, quite often, I see on the forum people pointing fingers, belittling each other, accusing one another of something, telling new people that they should read the rules but not giving them a true welcoming to the site.

We have lost the dignity that was once ours. We tell others that they aren�t worthy to be on the site. We use veiled comments to insult others.  We accuse others for using an idea from somewhere or from somebody without making doubly sure of our accusations. We are acting as judges and, at times, jury too.

I have also felt at times that according to some on the board that others here are less �worthy� to be on the site because they don�t moderate � i.e. report worksheets and then vote on them. But what about all those members that answer grammar questions, take the time to help out the new members, offer up advice and help; and even worksheets to people that are in real need of points?! Are they not an important part of this site too? I think that they are � in fact, they are what this site is truly about � �helping each other and sharing�.

The site is slowly getting an �elitist� feeling to it and I am sadden when I see comments in the reported section about �poor quality, just a simple �whatever� that anyone can do ...etc..� THOSE types of comments are very elitist... You are saying that people who are not talented or creative do NOT deserve to be among us and that really makes me wonder if I want to be part of a site like that? When I joined up, my first worksheets were crappy but I got better with time and I really do believe that this feeling of tolerance has faded somewhat and now only great looking worksheets �are wanted� or allowed to be part of the site.

I might be wrong in my assumption but if anybody has really noticed - a LOT of older members have stopped participating in an active way. I also know that I am with some of them in that the feeling on the site has changed � and not necessarily for the better...

But in the end, we all do what are conscious dictates and I honestly hope that people start speaking up for what they feel is right and stop clambering upon the band wagon because they don�t want to rock the boat. The boat sometimes needs to be rocked and today I am rocking it.

20 Jan 2010      

manonski (f)
Canada

Hi
I appreciate that you have the heart of saying what �s on your mind and probably other people �s mind.
Some days, the forum and the moderators � pages are tougher to handle. I don �t leave much comments on the reported page anymore but I go and vote.
I love debates. I love reading threads where opinions differ as long as the debate is done with respect in mind, which is not always happening but again... I can choose to stay away from those.

However, some days are so wonderful. I see people posting sites they �ve discovered. I see people sharing expertise in grammar questions or other types of questions.

I choose to wear pink glasses and see the good. I �ve made wonderful friends here, you included Zora, and that is far more important than bickering and judging other people �s work.  

Let �s go back to the true purposes of the site: sharing.

Live, learn, laugh!

21 Jan 2010     

niacouto
Portugal

I absolutely agree with you, Zora. Many nice people here answer promptly to questions and give support when someone is depressed and that makes you feel much better and also that sometimes the problems we experience everyday are not that uncommon! Even if the only support you can give is showing your sympathy, you have already brighten someone �s day. This all should be about "helping each other and sharing".

21 Jan 2010     

JulietaVL
Mexico

Zora... what else can I tell you that I had not told you this morning?

I congratulate you for being brave and express you opinion... opinion that I totally support and I know some others too (it is just that some of them feel a bit "scared" of doing so)

I miss the "old ESLprintables", full oj joy, friendship, etc... this site used to be very friendly, full of friends... every now and then, someone started a thread thanking God for having found this site, now, the threads are about "am I breaking a rule? / you are a thief, you do not have any right to speak like that becasue you are a thief / shame on you / what do you think about this thief?... bla bla bla"

I`ve seen the dissapointment in many members here, I used to send pms to the authors whose wss had been reported as copies or as non ESL resources, etc etc... to warn them and I saw the dissapointment and FEAR in all of them, some members sent me the links of their new contributions asking me: will it be deleted?

I felt blue because now everybody is afraid of commiting mistakes, new members get terrified and ask  frequently if they are breaking the rules...

I do not like this my friends, I do not like to see the fear in members. Actually I have uploaded a couple of wss in the previous weeks and I was afraid of breaking a rule, me, an old member...

I do not support thieves, I do not support cheaters, I am only a member who does not contribute that much to this site, but something is true: I love this site a lot.

I dislike to see a forum full of negative threads, I just think that if we see something unfair we should report it to Victor and that �s it, who are we to behave as judges? Are we better members than others because we spend hours deleting stuff? becasue we have more than 10,000 points?

Do you think that is good for the site? do you think we feel comfortable reading that? do you think that brings benefit?

Oh God... I miss the old ESLprintables so much...

21 Jan 2010     

Sonn
Russian Federation

I absolutely agree with you, Zora. Thank you for the post.

21 Jan 2010     

Hijab
Brazil

I also agree with you folks.

21 Jan 2010     

anaisabel001
Spain

Thanks for the post Zora.
I fully agree with you!!
I also miss the old  ESLprintables , Julieta!!

21 Jan 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

I �m in total agreement with you Zora.  I have been a member of this site almost from the start and I have seen how the tone of comments has changed.  Some of which I can live without.

The main purpose of this site is to share and to exchange ideas, but more and more often instead of sharing ideas and experiences, we are sharing accusations.

Let �s go back to the true spirit that this site is supposed to represent.

21 Jan 2010     

Bare
Croatia

I agree !!

I really love this site. I don �t have much free time but whenever I can I have to see what �s new... I don �t waste my time looking for some information any more...I have new ideas thanks to our dear members...we all learn a lot here...about everything...maybe this should be another important lesson...

Heart             

Hug

21 Jan 2010     

Samantha.esl
Italy

I agree with everything people have said here. I personally feel some people feel they own the site and can accuse and threaten with Victor to any member!
When I first joined the site I was helped through pms by two lovely members.. Whenever you post something, you get almost ignored and those threads like the one today get loads of replies. ..

:(

21 Jan 2010     

moravc
Czech Republic

I cannot say how much I have learnt since I joined this site...
So many creative people, so many hard-working souls...
I admire work of many contributors, feel a little bit jealous when I see all those wonderful ppt games (not able to make them now...), so I download them quite a lot...
But I am sure, whenever I need help, someone will help me...
I have received so many nice PMs from newbies when I offered my piece of advice...
I believe this site is a heaven for all teachers willing to learn (from others), teach, help and love :-)

I wish a beautiful morning, afternoon or night to all !
Life�s great !

21 Jan 2010     

1    2    3    4    5    6    Next >