Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > TALKING ABOUT NEW SITES...    

TALKING ABOUT NEW SITES...

frenchfrog
France

Just one simple question:
How many times has Victor advertised his site on your blog / site?

Would you be happy to read regular messages from someone who constantly advertises his/her blog / site on your blog / site? Would you not be tempted to erase those messages? Honestly?

19 May 2012     

tech_teacher
Bahamas

I agree with Frenchfrog. I am getting a bit annoyed with the constant �tweets � . Wink Yes Victor has given permission but I doubt he wanted it to be this barrage of promotions. What if a few more members decide to do the same thing? 

No offense but I think it is taking advantage! Just share your ws like we all do. Add your link under your screen name and your fans would click and buy ... Simple. 

19 May 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

@Mariethe: Even Philip himself says it �s not cast in stone, so if it doesn �t work out will you feel you paid for a good cause anyway:) Not picking on you, just trying to stay impartial. People can choose for themselves.

@Frenchfrog: Victor doesn �t mind, why would you? What if he sees it as something he can give back to someone who had made (and btw continues to do so) such a huge contribution into developing his site. There are always two sides to every story, I think.
Sophia

19 May 2012     

pilarmham
Spain

That �s a good point, frenchfrog.

19 May 2012     

papadeli
Greece

I am one of those who provide links to great sites. There �s always my blog �s link at the end of the post, in case someone wants to use more. What do I get apart from sharing? What �s the fuss? I started uploading ppts until 6 of them were removed - in 2 days-  without a reason. I �ve already mentioned that... So, I decided to give back to the community by sharing really good links. I �ve received only warm comments. So, if there is papadeligames at the end of the post as a signature, frenchfrog, what �s the problem? This is me, at least a part of me. Redirected from site to site is the art of searching. I don �t sell, I �m not asking for money. But what if I did? How would I know about eslchallenges or Philip? Don �t we teachers buy material? Most of the flash games on my blog is bought. I give about 200 dollars per year to one of the sites I use. And I share it. As a thankful gift to a community that has been growing , changing, following the new streams of knowledge. More than half a million users visit eslprintables. We don �t have their opinion. Philip and eslchallenge do. If they sell, it means that their work is useful. On the other hand, I don �t have many points. How can I get their work without buying it? Isn �t it my choice?
Greetings from Greece,

PS. I always give direct links.

19 May 2012     

juliag
Japan

Personally I don �t mind in the least - even if there is a link on the forum it is our personal freedom of choice as to whether we open it or not, and from there our personal choice as to whether we want to buy any resources or not.

I can see why some people think that it is a bit much when it happens too often, but as long as the link is to something esl related I think it can be helpful to any of us who want to take the time to open it and look at it.

I also think it �s a nice way for us to encourage each other. I don �t follow links very often as I don �t really have the time, but when I do I like to leave a positive comment either here or on the blog to encourage that teacher in their goal of furthering education. I very much admire the extra mile they are prepared to go for their students, and like to express that as all of us teachers need a pat on the back sometimes.

As Xani and Evelinamaria are selling their work it is slightly different to that, but as it �s still esl related and they both have contributed a lot here it doesn �t bother me in the least, though I have to say if just any old random teacher who had never contributed here started to advertise their worksheets for sale here I would definitely have a problem with it. So I guess it maybe boils down to what Sophia says and it is a way of Victor showing his appreciation for all they have done here.

In the end, I completely agree with those who have said that it must be Victor �s choice and I think we should respect that whatever our personal thoughts and feelings as this is his website.

Maybe there could be an extra section "Our member �s websites" under "What �s hot?" so it was taken out of the forum and only people who wanted to would check it but a) I think lots of people would miss it that way and b) it would mean more work for Victor.

Well, let �s see if Victor has anything further to say or not.

19 May 2012     

Mariethe House
France

�@Sophia againSmile
What is not cast in stone is the year!!! But of course he will go for what he has planned! I am sure of that! if he doesn �t, he will do something else with the same underlying spirit of helping and sharing !  ( And I should know because Iam one of the oldest members hereUnhappyLOL) he was one of the first  to offer his ws for free through e meil, to give templates, to write tutorials etc...
( along with French frog, btw!) to help other people! So I entirely trust him for using my money for a good cause. I have already donated ( not for ws, because I don �t need them anymore!!) but for his generous action! Big smile

19 May 2012     

juliag
Japan

Way to go Philip Roeland! Fantastic project and I wish you every success. Clap

19 May 2012     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

@Mariethe: As I said, people can choose for themselves. You could have started a new thread (which you had a couple of days ago btw) rather than post such a strong opinion in this thread as if saying don �t buy their ws rather buy Philip �s bc this is the right thing to do. It �s just the impression it gives.
I don �t doubt you all have made a huge contribution to the site (unlike myself, which you have clearly pointed out, as I �m not one of the oldest) but why oppose each other as if we are opponents or each other �s competition?

Sophia

P. S. Happy belated birthday btw yellow-flowers

19 May 2012     

Mariethe House
France

@ Sophia: You asked me a question... i simply answered! Big smile
Ps: I never mentionned anything about your production . Just said I was , am one of the oldest members ie. : i know more about the "history" of the site than you do! That�s all! that�s my only privilege here!LOL
Thank you for your BD wishes! Smile

19 May 2012     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    5    6    7    8    Next >