Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > I don ´t know what to do ...     

I don ´t know what to do ...

Portugal

I hadn �t shut the computer down when I saw your message, Damielle. Where do you see the bitterness? You seem tired, so maybe you picked up some sentences and you made your mind right away, maybe the bitterness you saw is just your own bitterness, since you actually say you feel miserable. Could that be possible? If tolerance is the key, why do you think that only others think they are entitled to say what they want? Didn �t you do exactly the same? What is the difference, then? I �ve never liked the word tolerance. What does it really mean? That I (first person, not me myself) tolerate others, meaning I tolerate that medicine, but the other one makes me sick? Does it mean: oh it �s just the way they are, but I �m tolerant (stronger, smarter, wiser, happier, whatever) enough to cope with it. I �m only asking you to think about that, because I often think about it myself, just to clarify my own ideas and be a better thinker, I �m only human as everybody else, though. No matter how I try to make of me a better person, I �m always stumbling. Am I  succeeding? And here I go, again.
EDIT: someone yesterday wrote in the forum "I don�t like lazy people" Do lazy people like her? Are they really lazy because she says so? What�s wrong of being lazy? Are lazy people worse than hardworking people? In which way? Who is being more tolerant here? Or whose tolerance is more valuable? Just think about it.

EDIT:Cyn, this thread makes you angry. Why are you in it, then? Do you feel the need to be angry? Why is that, can you explain? Because, if something makes you angry, what could be the wisest solution? I truly don�t understand.

15 Aug 2009     

Caroline565
Australia

Will we close this thread as it seems that some people cannot accept that it is ok to voice different opinions. To do so angers them. Now I think that is a very mean and self-centered attitude to take. Victor asked us to use the cafe for the type of posts that have already been mentioned so many times. Now are we going to go by what he asked or are we going to be stubborn and rebel. As for me I will go along with Victors wish and show respect. Good night. I do not usually get angry but tonight I am. Ah let someone else close this. I am too tired now to bother. I am all for being tolerant but when I am expected to surrender to the opinions of others  I must draw the line to protect my own thoughts.
Caroline.

15 Aug 2009     

Damielle
Argentina

You are wrong  if you think that some bitterness is in my soul. I �m only tired but still positive. But I can perfectly percieve somebody �s bitterness by the choice of words.

As you have mentioned Victor �s wishes, let �s quote his exact words:

" Please, use the forum for Teaching related topics, and the teachers � cafe for other things."

I wonder whether  this post a "teaching related topic?"

15 Aug 2009     

Cyn.
Argentina

Ivona,
I see your point but the difference is that I don �t start threads about how much I hate certain posts...
As regards giving you arguments, I did mention that personally I loved being gretted on my birthday in this forum.
I �m sorry if I am not helping you, I �m just giving my opinion, if I �m allowed...

15 Aug 2009     

Damielle
Argentina

@CynW, I couldn �t agree more with you!!! I wouldn �t start a thread like this either. But as it was already here, I couldn �t refrain from saying how much I dislike them because I consider that they can ruin the environment and hurt some people.

15 Aug 2009     

Portugal

If this isn �t a teaching related topic, why did you enter it, Damielle? You can perceive somebody �s bitterness? Why can �t others perceive your bitterness? Are you more sensitive than others? More insightful? Do you see how tolerant (more of something) you can be? I see a lot of fallacies in your thoughts, Damielle, I must say. It doesn �t bother me at all. It just feels like no matter how hard I  try to reason with you, I�m not going to get anything positive from this dialogue, because you �re just not into reasoning, for the reasons you stated in your first post. The feeling of failure is not positive: Actually, I consider myself a successful person. So, I feel like I �m just throwing  my precious time away with you today. Maybe we can come to terms when you are more relaxed. Goobye, then. Rest as much as you can.

EDIT: I couldn �t refrain from saying, you say Damielle; then, why must other people refrain from saying? Is it for you to decide who can/can´t, who must? Why is that, I just ask you to consider.  You are wrong, you tell me Damielle. Does it make you to be right, just because if you say so? So, You are tolerant, the others aren�t; You are right, the others aren�t. You are positive, the others aren�t. You are just tired, the others are bitter. Are you sure this is how things really work, Damielle?

EDIT: I wouldn �t start a thread like this you say, Damielle, yet you also say You are the tolerant one, Damielle. You�re not making sense here, are you? I also, thank you, Damielle, for saying how much you dislike them. Who�s them? Are they opposite to us; Who�s us? You could cause some people an identity problem. Where do I stand, for instance? Have you decided yet? Should I humbly wait for your decision?If you have, why did you classify me?  Is it just because you are tolerant ? Should them, or us, whatever, be greatful for it? Or just wait for your decision? When you say them, you are dividing people into two oponent groups, aren´t you? Why ido you do that?  Can you, at least,  think it over, please?

15 Aug 2009     

Caroline565
Australia

@ damielle

"The teachers � cafe

This is the place where we can chat, share funny images, send greetings, wishes, etc.
Only the last 30 messages will be saved."

Now these are also Victors words. Please note that it is here that greetings should be put.

15 Aug 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

@ CynW
You missed my point. I didn �t need an argument for sending bday wishes, but an argument for sending them in the forum. You probably missed one of the previous posts where i said that i was all for bday wishes as they make people happy, BUT not in the forum. And i wouldn �t mind them in the forum either, except for the fact (now i �m repeating myself) that they are repeated over and over again every single day.

@ damielle
You wouldn �t start a thread like this because you do not have a problem. If i sent more threads like this, then, you would "feel the need to say out loud" that you minded them, wouldn �t you?? And what makes you think that constant pictures of cats and dogs in an ESL site do not ruin the site?? Again, and again, i �m not against cats and dogs and bday wishes, but against TOO MUCH of sth. I don �t know how many times i have to repeat it? (Someone might even complain about my repeating things over and over again. It might even be me to do so!) And i wish you didn �t stick together (you and Cyn) and defended each other �s opinions. I would like you to attack mine, but again, with plausible arguments. You might even change my mind.

Btw, i wonder what the by-standers are thinking ... if they�re exchanging any pm�s or ... hehehe Evil Smile

15 Aug 2009     

Portugal

You, naughty! Are YOU sending any pm??? I�M shutting my computer down. Let�s count to 3 and DO IT, girls!

15 Aug 2009     

Caroline565
Australia

Standing by..standing by ...standing by hehehehe. Have attempted to get to bed several times but have been held by this thread..addicted to it...I dont want to take sides here but Ivona still holds the CROWN I think hahaha.... has definitely debated and has backed up her arguments with a certain brilliance Evil Smile hehehehe! Now let �s all hug and let bygones be bygones Wink

15 Aug 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    5    6    7    8    9    Next >