Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > I don ´t know what to do ...     

I don ´t know what to do ...

Nebal
Lebanon

OMG!!! The post is still running!!! It �s good, but what �s bad is that we didn �t reach any solution!!!!
Ivona, your last trial scene was of no need. You should know that not all people are alike and not all would take it as funny. Please, Ivona, if it was written to me by another member, I would have felt offended. But, I know you well.So Ivy again, noooooooooooo!!! I know, this is you, but try to appreciate others � feelings. Damielle is one of my very best friends, and I know what she meant . All she was trying to do and say is that we should discuss things , but without hurting each other or ruining our happiness. By the way, she always step by here to soothe our moods and create a funny relaxing environment. That is Damielle!!!

Ivy, I �m not accusing you of anything, but to be frank with you, today I wasn �t happy when I was posting in the cafe. I felt kind of depressed , kind of ??? I don �t know!! It �s not that I don �t want the best for all, but I was very happpppy .

I always ask myself : Why should I always try to help others to feel happiness and satisfaction when sometimes I abandon mine?? Is it becoz I �m that good or is it becoz I �m that naive??? The answer is: No, becoz I love my friends and always ready  to make them happy even if I �m not.

So, Ivy, what do you think??

Hope you had a comforting flight!!
Nebal

15 Aug 2009     

Portugal

Hi, Nebal, we didn �t come up with a solution, because nobody was assigned to it or proposed one. This is all such threads will end up, causing frustration . I could come with a suggestion. Would it make a difference? What would happen, then? Somebody calling me names? I already have 1 name and five surnames. I�m DOne!Or would some of us be wise enough to handle everyting? What if we finally came with a solution? What would we do with it?

Here goes what I make of this:

1. Fun in the caf�, possibly with several threads. Do you know why? Just think of your angels today. I loved them, but some members wouldn �t approve. So, if they were wise enough, they would leave to find their buddies, if they weren �t they could make a fuss.

2.Serious (not stiff!) issues at the forum; about teaching, methodology, reflecting on the nature of our profession, all the categories we could come up with. One forum just for the newcomers to be welcome and help out. There must me  at least 2 members assigned to the this particular forum everyday. Who �s going to volunteer? Will Victor have a voice on the members that could be assigned? My opinion is: Yes, he certainly would. For the other forum(s). How does each one of us feel like reasoning on a subject, today? Is there a subject I �m interested in? If I �m not interest, why should I enter and make a mess of it, just because I don �t even realize that I �m angry or frustated about something and let the others deal with it?
I�ve tried to tackle these issues during the thread, but nobody was into it.
Does this make sense to you or do you feel like kicking my **+?=#?

15 Aug 2009     

Lana.
Ireland

Wow... It is amazing the post is still running... Smile

Personally, I wasn �t insulted/annoyed by anyone �s comment in the least. We all express our point of view, don �t we? Every single member is a beautiful soul irrelevant of what she says. Approve Me loves ya all.

I don �t think that the way the thread was started was insensitive.

It �s just wading through the birthday messages takes time and before we reach a thread that we can actually say something clever in or better still help someone out, the time is up.

I wonder if it is OK to divide us into

those who can and want to spend a lot of time (hours) on the forum

and

those who open this page twice a day/once a day/a few times a week to learn and be useful.

I belong to the second category.

Also, it �d be great if Victor could come and calm this crowd of braggling/weeping/arguing women down and confirm for the last time what belongs where.

My, I feel we are abusing his kindness...LOL 

15 Aug 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

Good morning, all!
I see Ivona �s brain is back from the holidays(I �m not being offensive, just quoting you, Ivona, from the other day) and in her special mood, which I love, because she �s one of those people who always rattle the cage and jiggle our little grey cells into motion. For that, my dear, I honestly congratulate you - honesty is hard to come by these days, and highly underestimated simply because it �s often painful and too revealing. I agree with some of what you wrote, disagree with some, but that �s my opinion.
I know you asked su to read all posts bwfore answering, and I have tried, but this thread is a bit too long (I hope nikadixon turns it into an interesting piece of research), so I really haven �t read it in detail.
I do have two things to say, however:
1. I like this site very much(the wss, the pms, the forum and the cafe) - I have learned to tune into those discussions I find interesting and to ignore the rest - it �s just like the TV programme - if you don �t like it, switch the channel or turn it off and go read a book(that �s what my mom always tells me)
2. what I don �t like (and this site is not the cause, but shows the state of human minds in general) is the fact that so many people spend so much time and energy to answer various negative posts, and so few people answer positive, creative, challenging posts (just check the threads - whenever somebody bashes the site or writes a complaint, so many of us pay attention to it, wasting time and energy trying to teach them a lesson and help them, and all they wanted to do was just stir some dust and attract attention)
There - I spoke my mind.
Ivona, I admire your posts, because your topics are always challenging and create a commotion, but what �s important about this is the fact that you don �t just do it to bash and leave - you do it to be honest and to try to provoke people into thinking (as naughty as it may seem)... Respect for that - I admire the fact that so many people join your posts, whether to agree or disagree, and the air feels sort of cleared afterwards... I can relate to everyone �s feelings - at one point or another, I guess we all feel some of it.
But, people, it �s a lovely Saturday, the weekend is ahead - time to fill our batteries with positive thoughts, the energy of our friends and families and carpe diem!
So bye for now
PS: You must admit - it �s great to have Ivona back...

15 Aug 2009     

Portugal

Hi, anita! What do you think of my suggestions?

15 Aug 2009     

libertybelle
United States

The reason why many write how much they like you and then go on to write that they don �t agree with you, is because this is something we do in English speaking countries. It �s called being polite and also clarifying that we like you as a person but don �t necessarily agree with you.
You wouldn �t believe how many people misunderstand this and think that if you don �t agree with them, then you hate them and this is often not the case.

It �s good to know - don �t you think?
Everything can be said in a nice way.
Hugs
L

15 Aug 2009     

Portugal

Ladybird and libertybelle,  I suggest you read my post before Lana �s; there may be a solution to that. Will you check it out and tell me what you think of it?

15 Aug 2009     

Caroline565
Australia

Good morning dear colleagues. I just popped in before I go to have my breakfast to see what I had missed. I really enjoyed the discussion that took place in this marathon threadLOL Yes there were all kinds of emotions expressed and unavoidable misunderstandings but I think it was a good spring-cleaning exercise. Someone asked if any solution was discovered through the content of this thread. Well I don �t know if that happened or whether one will be achieved ... but that �s exactly why threads like Ivona �s need to be posted.  ie. to dicsuss. Then maybe at a later date when people have thought about everthing that was aired, a solution may be found. I �m off to join my hub now on a short trip to the city. Take care all.
CarolineHug

15 Aug 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Oh my goodness me - look at all these entries - did this post create a record for being the longest post?  You guys must have been blogging throughout the night!

Well, it �s early Saturday evening for us down under - I wonder what interesting posts Sunday morning will bring us? 

15 Aug 2009     

Damielle
Argentina

Ivona
Serbia

"All rise!"

"Has the jury reached a verdict?"

"Yes, Your Honour."

"What say you?"

"We, the jury, find the defendants, Damielle, Cyn, and others ... guilty ... "

"Whoaaaa!?!?!" (gasp in the crowd)

"Order! Order!" (gavel banging)

"... of putting up too many pictures in the forum and the cafe (though they are allowed to do so there)."

"It was not a fair trial! We didn �t have time to prepare the evidence!", cried Damielle.

"I find that the prosecution has proved its case beyond all reasonable doubt...The witnesses supplied by the defense seem to have been ill-prepared. I therefore find in favour of the prosecution and I am imposing a fine to the value of ten worksheets from each witness �s account to be paid to Ms Bratty. Case closed." (bang, went the gavel)
Should I laugh I this scene? Didn´t you mean to be offensive?

Why don �t you read my posts carefully? I wasn �t in favor nor against posting pics on the main forum. I just expressed my opinion against post like this in this place complaining about anything.

@Ivona, please reflect on your position. You are constantly posting things,  and then, when you  repent, want to erase your opinions. Remember that you have asked me to delete my answers just because you don �t like your post and wanted it to disaapear!!! And I think that I was not the only one who was asked to do it.

BTW, why have you editted your initial post? As you did it, many answers are out of context now.

Besides, try to be coherent. Victor posted about the caf� on may 24th and on June 10th you posted this:

Ivona
Serbia

Check the ESL cafe! I just posted THIS there ...

Ahhhhhh people, or better, ladies! (oh, and a few but valuable gents!) stop hiding behind those eye-candies and cute puppies and catties!
I DARE YOU

show your teacher faces

- with OR without make up
- with hair tied at the back so it is not in the way OR neatly done for going out
- with circles around your hypnotised eyes due to the 10-hour staring at the screen doing the typing, copying, pasting, printing, snipping OR with rested eyes right after a cup of coffee and checking the forum
- being annoyed over trivial things and banging on the keyboard because you want to be heard, and then getting frustrated at the fact that the other one on the other side of the cyber world cannot hear you, so you overuse the "!" and "?" marks, and then get the "awwwws" and "love you �s" from the friends from around here and everything is fine again OR making a joke out of life because there �s no POINT Wink in taking it (too) seriously
It might help

Why not CHALLENGE THE PREJUDICES and pre/misconceptions we seem to have of each other???
Cool

EDIT: Ok, i�ve just been informed of this thread. You might want to CHECK IT FIRST prior to any posting.
http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=764

Is it a "Teaching related topic" as Victor said?What about the size and colour of the letters?

I consider that neither this post about the faces, nor this one complaining about pictures areTeaching related topic . nevertheless, I see that you consider that they are right for the forum.do you think that we have to accept it? Or should I "say it out loud",  as you said, that you have chosen the wrong place? 

You have also said "i had to use the forum as the punch bag and let it all out." (the English people suffer a lot more than other Europeans from heart related diseases all because of the ... bottling up) Can´t you think that the other people also need to let it all out? But in their case, what they let out is their love and happiness.

Your own words:
"@Judith@rwen
sarcasm = A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.
I never ever intended to wound anyone. Nor do i think that i said things that would hurt someone. And either people are not reading the posts carefully, or they are misinterpreting what i wanted to say on purpose."

Don´t tell me that you  "said things that would hurt someone". You have been very offensive at least to me. (refer to the trial scene)

15 Aug 2009     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    5    6    7    8    9    Next >