Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Some changes in the website    

Some changes in the website

juliag
Japan

I like the idea of having a section with templates for new users and the ideas that users can choose and specify somehow whether they allow their worksheets to be used as tempates or not

think PhillipR is right when he says that all grammar/reading worksheets should have an answer key as even as a native speaker sometimes I am not clear what answer the person who made the worksheet is expecting

I also think it would be a good idea toinclude some information on how to reduce file (esp picture) size somewhere in the rules and also to post the links to the various worksheets on this subject

I think it would also be useful to post and revise periodically a list of websites that offer public domain clip art, either in the rules page, or as a separate page with a link to it, as I know this is a question that new members often ask.

18 Feb 2010     

CHARMED ONE
Mexico

WOW, always doing the best for us Victor!

Thank you for your time, effort, generosity, patience......in one word... Thanks for EVERYTHING!!!

18 Feb 2010     

manonski (f)
Canada

I like the idea of adding a key to exercises but I �m wondering about the size of the file. I know I �ve always been able to add a key but I also know that I really struggle to make my document fit into the 300kb available. Because of that, I �m not sure we can make them mandatory.

18 Feb 2010     

Sonn
Russian Federation

After reading manonski �s message I have one more question: will it be possible to send the key file separately if a user is not able to reduce the document size?

I usually send files with keys, but I have one contribution without a key because after a long struggle with resizing the file I wasn �t able to add the key. The file was more than 300 kb (324) with it and I couldn �t do anything. If I sent it with a key those who would download the file  would also receive a wss with a terrible quality of the image (it was a wordsearch), so I had to choose: either I upload it with a key and a bad quality (i.e. a useless ws) or without it but with a clear image (the useful one). 

18 Feb 2010     

eng789
Israel

Reducing the number of moderators is an excellent idea,  "too many cooks in the kitchen".

Unfortunately, I won �t be among the ones moderating but I am sure they will do an excellent job.

My only regret is that I will miss out on the perk of learning about all the great, free sites the abusers use to copy from (which are posted as links there to prove the ws is stolen.)

I hope the moderators will share these links with us.  

Nobody likes change - but I am sure that it will make this site a happier moe friendly place.

Thanks Victor,  Thumbs Up

Have a great day everyone.
BarbaraHug

18 Feb 2010     

Yulia Mo
Russian Federation

Victor, you are doing a great job, thank you.

I agree about reducing the number of moderators. You know better who moderates and you �ll see after the new rules start working if there �s a need to reduce the number of points for becoming a moderator.

Freezing the reported wss is also a great idea, but may be this should only be applied to wss reported as copies, as for other reports, people see things differently and wss like that are most likely to be back. But anyway, that �s your call.

As for the wss with less than 5 downloads. It is an issue, because people really can upload one wss several times after it �s being deleted and the points aren �t taken from the member (which is fair). But may be there is a way to save some space.
What about members who are not using the site anymore. Let �s say somebody registered, sent one or two wss which were downloaded 2-3 times and since then stopped appearing at all. What happens to those members? Is there an expiration date for accounts? Because i saw accounts like this, obviously they are not used anymore, just taking up space. I �m sure there is a way to know about the member �s last appearance on the site and set the expiry date for his account. Don �t get me wrong, i �m not talking about those who are using the site and can just disappear for a few months due to some personal issues, but those who really stopped using the site and have only a couple of uploads which don �t have more than 5 points.

And i want to ask Victor again, if it �s possible to make search within one user. But may be not now.

Somebody also said and i agree, there shouldn�t be unnecessary dividing of wss. In the long run it will make people reduce the size of the pics which will lead to the reducing of the server space needed.

There were some other thoughts, but i forgot))))

Thank you once again, Victor, you are the best

18 Feb 2010     

Yulia Mo
Russian Federation

Here �s one more thing.

The rules say we cannot advertise our own work or other members on the forum. But sometimes it �s really hard to find what you want, so people go to the forum to ask let �s say who has wss on this topics or for this age group. So this kind of questions are not allowed anymore? Or the answers can be only through PM? For sure i �m not talking about those who come to the forum saying Please download my WS.

I also think there should be clearer rules on what is considered an ESL resource. Sometimes moderators have to guess what is supposed to be done in the ws. So again, people should be reminded to include a proper description of a task and if it�s not included we shouldn�t have to guess.

And the last thing for now.
When i just registered, i read the rules from the beginning to the end, and i was never intending to upload a copy, but i was thinking to myself, how on Earth are they going to find out if it �s a copy from a site or a book? I had no idea about the reporting-moderating system, so it was hard for me to believe that if i upload a copy someone will ever find it out.
So may be there is a point in mentioning this in the rules, so that people knew that there are many people here who are concerned about keeping the site clean and that spotting the copy is really an easy thing to do. Perhaps it will make moderator �s job easier.

Sorry, Victor just remembered one more thing.
Old contributions can only be reported if they are copies. May be we should change that? There are tons of things i saw which are not in English, or even corrupted and empty docs. Isn�t it a good way to free up some space?

And what about the members who were caught uploading exact copies, like those of Vanda or Alenka, which are obviously not because they didn�t know the rules. May be it�s possible to put their whole account for check up? Like now, i�m trying hard to search the work of one of such members and it�s pretty clear that some of his wss are not original work, but i can�t report them unless i�m sure. In the end i�ll give up and he will keep on using the site.

18 Feb 2010     

David Lisgo
Japan

I have arrived late here.  Obviously Victor has the power to ban any member, but I hope that some lesser punishments will also be considered such as loss of points and suspension.  Previously, with 3 strikes and you �re out there was no real penalty for the first two strikes as you only lost what was not yours, but the third strike was fatal. Perhaps there could be real penalties for the first two strikes which would hopefully disincline people from continuing to upload copies of other people �s work.

18 Feb 2010     

Sonn
Russian Federation

One more thing I wanted to add. On the similar site it is possible to see the size of the document. Maybe it would be useful here.
And I have a question about the watermark. Which are not allowed: the ones with a copyright mark or the ones with the site �mark? Or both?

18 Feb 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    5    6    7    8    9    10    11