Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Some changes in the website    

Some changes in the website

elderberrywine
Germany

Freezing worksheets is a good thing.

I do not think, however, that making people moderators when they reach 10.000 points is a good idea.

For one, I do not think that someone with 10.000 points has more experience or more expertise than someone with 2000 points.
He might just have more time, more ambition, or might hit the "general taste" in worksheets on the nail and receive tons of points for every worksheet he produces, whereas people who produce worksheets at a very advanced level and get few points (because not many people here are interested in advanced and literary topics) will never be a moderator all their lives although they produce precious and serious work.

On top of that people might not necessarily want to become a moderator the moment they get the required amount of points. They might never want to be one but might want to contribute in other ways- They might however  feel obliged to do their moderating job, but without conviction.

How about asking people to APPLY for being moderators? They would have to have uploaded a certain number of worksheets that prove their capacity and judgment, and you, Victor, or some people you could appoint could look into them and decide whether the "candidates" are "worthy" of becoming moderators. The moment they apply you can be sure they are interested.
This would mean a lot of extra effort, but I think it would be worth it because the moderators � job has become such an important one and the moderators are so often under attack... moderators have to be well-chosen, but not simply on account of points.
love
Dorothea

17 Feb 2010     

Isabel L
Spain

Hi Victor,
thanks for your efforts to make this even a greater site than it already is.

Putting all the rules together and clarifying them as much as possible is an excellent idea.
I agree with everything. The "freezing" system sounds fair enough as it gives you time to check and if everything is OK, it gives the author the opportunity to get points.

There is only one thing that seems confusing. When you say:

When you send a contribution (printable, powerpoint or online exercise) you get 1 point whenever someone downloads it, ...

it seems that the system is the same for ws and OE. You explain it later, but it may sound contradictory. I think that referring to OE only in the specific part, would solve the problem.

17 Feb 2010     

JulietaVL
Mexico

I agree with the changes Thumbs Up

17 Feb 2010     

victor
Spain

Well, I �m back

brunadutra, yes I also think it is a good idea not to allow watermarked cliparts from now on.

Juliag, You are right, there is nothing written about that. I �ll add it too.

Manonski: yes, I have to add that you can use any image that you have paid for the rights.

edlerverein, I know that more points doesn �t mean more experience in the website, but it is the least subjective criteria that we have to choose moderators.
Of course, I hope nobody will feel obliged to do the moderating job. It is completely optional.

Isabel L, yes you are right. I should not include the online exercise there.

17 Feb 2010     

robertb
Australia

Dear Victor!
Thanks for your great work.
I am giving my opinion just to help improve our BIG HOUSE ESLPRINTABLES. Although it is not a new idea, I want to say again. I find that our ppts are poor because they are limit in size. 500 kb is not big enough for a teaching plan because a "colorful" ppt conveys a lot of pictures. if a contributor divides it into small parts to send, it will take time and they may be lazy. As a result, they will not send it or they will delete some slides to�reduce the size which will make the ppt less interesting.
Hope you will do something for the better job!

17 Feb 2010     

victor
Spain

Dear Robert,

I know that 500 kb is not enough for powerpoints, but the web server is not unlimited.
If possible, I �ll try to find a solution to increase the file size limit.
Meanwhile, you can try software like NXPowerLite or Fileminimizer. They are great to reduce file size.

17 Feb 2010     

eng789
Israel

My question is - How do you get new users to actually read "the rules" all before sending a ws.?

A lot of people get so excited about being able to download the great material here that they don �t even read the rules. (or maybe their English isn �t quite good enough for them to be able to really understand them.)  Maybe they should be translated into some different languagues to give the newer non-fluent teachers a chance.

Victor,  thanks for everything.

Hugs,
Barbara

17 Feb 2010     

Timar Marika
Romania

Hello Victor

I like the new rules! I think it is a very good idea to freeze the reported contributions, because many times people download even if they know they are taken from other places.�

YOU DO A GREAT JOB! THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING!�

17 Feb 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

Hi, Victor. Another thing I would like to add, that every now and then it raises a discussion among moderators, is about the unecessary splitting of wss. I mean, sometimes there �s no other way, but we see wss being separated that really didn � t need to (size-wise, I mean). How do you advise us to proceed? Because some are reported as "not an ESL resource" because they make no sense without the other part (sometimes other partS). And we have hundreds of tutorials and forum post about reduzing images and files. I think there could be a rule about it, something like:

You must not divide worksheets unnecessarily, otherwise they will be reported; if you can, try to reduce the images (search the Forum on how to do it) or try to make a connection between the two worksheets.

Well... as you can see Victor, there will always be something to be considered, hehehe, but I do admire your effort and concern to all of us.

thanks for your help, always.

Bruna;

17 Feb 2010     

libertybelle
United States

I won �t make it as a moderator for at least another year and a half.
I �m not a fast worksheet maker but I do have 5000 points which I consider makes me a serious and contributing member.
Many of my worksheets are not grammar worksheets, but come under reading and comprehension.
Grammar worksheets are probably the most downloaded and often only one page long, whereas mine are often 4 pages long, but not as much in demand as grammar wss.

I would think around 5000 or 7000 is a better choice, otherwise the moderator group becomes very small and selective.

L

17 Feb 2010     

< Previous   1    2    3    4    5    6    7    8    9    10    11    Next >